Texas

Im from the Corsicana area. We are just starting up our chickens. We use to do it before about 10 yrs ago and wanted to start again.

clap.gif
Hi from Lockhart TX

Last edited:
I'm in East Texas and new to keeping chickens. My chicks are still in their brooder, but I havent bought a coop yet. Any suggestions on what is the best kind for 6 hens?

If you don't mind me asking, whats your budget? I'd recommend building your own. You can get more for less typically over buying if you build it yourself. I'm located in Tyler as well, and would be willing to help you out if you decide to build.

Hello everyone! I'm new to raising chickens, in fact, my MPC order will be arriving in Sept. I'm so excited, but I'm also having 2nd thoughts. You see, they're not allowed in my HOA. I pretty much scrapped the idea last year since I didn't want to be breaking the CC&Rs. However, I don't know what came over me and out of the blue, I went ahead and ordered them. Weird. Anyway, if I get caught, I'll be here offering them to a good home. BTW, I'm getting a SLW, a faverolle, and 2 silkies.

I'm in the same boat. I have an HOA that doesn't allow chickens and a city that says they have to be 150 ft from another residence (not possible in my yard). I asked all my neighbors and they said it would be fine. Of course, it's always OK until it's not OK. My coop is not visible from the street or any neighbor windows or roofs I think. My only concern is it is on my side yard, up on a retaining wall about 20 ft from a sidewalk. I am on a corner lot and it may be possible to hear them if walking by at the right time, i.e no dogs barking, planes flying overhead, mockingbirds singing, ipod playing etc. I got silkies because I've read they are quiet and so far, I think that is true (I've had them all of 2 weeks). I think it will be OK for me. I hope it all goes well for you.

Last edited:
I thought I had posted here when I first found this in mid Feb... I'm Knightie I live in East Texas ( Carthage/Marshall area) anyone closer to me than the folks over in Tyler? I may be having a few roo's to trade/etc once I figure out what kind they are! (They came when I ordered my Cayuga ducks) We had chickens when I was a kid and all I remember about it then was some were monsters (size of turkeys!!) and we had a REALLY mean rooster... it took my dad and his friend an hour or better to get him and then send him to freezer camp!

I have a little lavender Silkie that is almost 3 weeks old... I think it's a roo (I feel what seems to be the start of spurs on him... is that a reliable way to tell? ) I'll be looking for a couple girls for him later.... Also how much would it effect egg production in the resulting chikens from crossing a silkie with a large fowl (like Black sex links, Austrolops, etc?)

Killeen Texas here. Ive been at StillHouse Hollow since 1992. Before that Landenberg Pa. We had a real nice flock i Pa. got up to about 60 birds at on time. This year Im finally getting around to raising a Texas flock.I m going to keep this one a bit smaller, Around a dozen hens and a rooster. Nice to be back into it......The chicks are fun.

Back
Top Bottom