Texas

Have a question for everyone, if yall go look at my pic of my checken coop we have good ventalation have a vent in front and back on coop and the top of roof overlap eachother so u can see daylight on top so that's another vent. No water get it from top. Had leaks by doors so I bought some silcone and no leaks, want to buy some ruberized paint to spray roof so also help from rain coming in any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys!

I used to be a little more activeon this site back when I lived in Maine with my own chickens... but I've lived here in Texas (Midland) for nearly a year and a half. We're finally buying our own house on nearly three acres, and I'm totally going to have chickens again.

I'm thinking, however, of starting with guineas. We have a ton of ticks on the property and I won't be building a proper chicken coop for another few months. Anyone here have guinea experience? And anyone know where to get them?

Hi guys!

I used to be a little more activeon this site back when I lived in Maine with my own chickens... but I've lived here in Texas (Midland) for nearly a year and a half. We're finally buying our own house on nearly three acres, and I'm totally going to have chickens again.

I'm thinking, however, of starting with guineas. We have a ton of ticks on the property and I won't be building a proper chicken coop for another few months. Anyone here have guinea experience? And anyone know where to get them?

Welcome to Texas! Congratulations on your new property!!

HAPPY 4th of July weekend to all. Be safe and have fun!
x2

picture my friend DianaMallory sent me yesterday -- nice fireworks huh? The kind I like - no noise.

Hi guys!

Welcome! congrats on the property.

My local feed store has a sign out - for quail & guineas. -- you could check your feed store, craig's list, your local paper (especially if it is a small town) - those free sales sites -- there is one here called southEastTexas.com classifieds - there is probably one everywhere in the state (and maybe everywhere in the country)--- you could also try a wanted ad.

Good luck with the search - and post back what works and pictures of your guineas. :O)

Hi guys!

Guineas will take care of your tick problems and help keep any snakes at bay. They have them available from Ideal in Cameron and you only have to spend 25 bucks, no minimum number of chicks/keets like most hatcheries. Also, being in Texas you can expect pretty fast shipping (I usually get my Ideal orders within 2 days and even have gotten them overnight). We are located north of Coleman TX just about 150 miles due East of you there in Midland. We don't have tick problems but this year we have had a real issue with all types of snakes. Right now I wish we had a yard full of Guineas but with seven dogs they would all be dead.

Good luck with your poultry adventures and be sure to be more active now that you are getting settled on your farm. We did the same thing about three years ago and it has been a real adventure.

I have yet another question for you guys. I noticed today that my girls' faces and combs have lost the rosy color they were developing. I keep fresh water accessible 24/7 due to the heat. Is this a sign of dehydration?

Back
Top Bottom