Texas

Yes please share the beef recipe. And thank you in advance
Okay, so here's the recipe for Pho Bo. I've been doing this for years, and while you CAN used beef stock as a base and just add everything in it's best to do it the old-fashioned way with beef bones and meat.

Shopping List:
5 lbs beef bones*
2 lbs beef chuck/round (cut into 2 cps)*
2 to 3 (3") pcs ginger, charred
2 medium yellow onions, charred
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 oz rock sugar**
15 whole star anise, toasted
8 whole cloves, toasted
3 (3") pcs cinnamon bark/stick, toasted
2 tbs sea salt
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of dry 1/8" to 1/4" rice fettuccini, soaked, cooked & drained (use the stuff Hung said to use, it's the only good one!)
1/3 lb beef sirloin, slightly frozen, sliced paper-thin (across grain)

*In lieu of these items, I use 7 lbs of beef ribs. You get the meat & the marrow.
**In lieu of rock sugar, use 3 tbs of regular sugar.

Garnishes:
1/2 small yellow onion, sliced paper-thin
3 scallions, cut into rings
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 lb bean sprouts
10 sprigs basil (Asian preferred)
1 dozen saw-leaf herb leaves
6 Thai bird chilies, cut into rings
1 to 2 limes, cut in wedges
Freshly ground black pepper
Hoisin sauce
Chili sauce

Directions:
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot. This will be the start of the soup base.

In a 2nd stockpot, place the bones and beef chuck and water to cover. Bring to a boil, then let boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bones and beef chuck to the 1st pot; discard the water in the 2nd pot.

When the water returns to a boil in the 1st pot, reduce heat to a simmer. Skim the surface to remove foam and fat that will rise (you will have to do this often throughout the cooking process).

Add charred ginger, onions, fish sauce, and sugar to pot. Simmer until the beef chuck is tender (approx. 45 minutes). Remove one piece of beef chuck from broth & place in cool water to prevent discoloration and the meat from toughening (leave for 10 minutes). Drain, cut into thin slices, and reserve for later.

Let broth simmer for 1 1/2 hours. After toasting star anise, cloves, and cinnamon, place in cheesecloth and add to the broth. Wait 30 minutes, then add salt. Simmer for 2 hours.

Serve:
Place noodles in bowls.
Place slices of beef chuck and raw sirloin on noodles.
Bring broth to a boil.
Ladle broth into bowl to just cover the noodles (more or less depending on how much broth you like).
Garnish with whatever you want.

Notes:
I like to use the beef ribs instead of beef bones and beef chuck. They seem to make a richer beef stock. Also with all the ribs we have left over (if we don't eat them with our soup), we barbecue the next day. They have a nice aroma, flavor, and the meat literally falls off the bones.

If you make the soup the night before, it is ready for the morning to eat. The bonus is the soup tastes better the second day.

Most recipes tell you to discard the onions, ginger, and spices after you're done making the broth. I don't throw any of it away. I leave everything in the pot for so the flavors can infuse even more.

Ugh. This has been a horrible few months with the hens. First those dogs came in and wiped out a third of my flock. Got some chicks and the bleeping rats got through the wire and killed 12 of my 20 chicks. Moved the survivors back into the hourse. Today, the replacements I got from the hatchery came it and due to a miscommunication between me and my dad, he didn't shut the puppy away from them and when he went out check on them, he found the puppy IN the brooder and 4 chicks dead and 3 on the verge. He didn't tell me because he felt sick about it, just put the three iffy ones in the packing box, which he placed in the brooder. I get home really late and find one chick gone and the other two freezing cold and barely moving. I quickly put them in another box with a heating pad to get their temperature up and just now (2 hours later), they were perkier. Even opening their eyes some. I gave them a little sugar water. We'll see how they fare in the morning, but I'm hoping they make it.
hit.gif
fl.gif

Ugh. This has been a horrible few months with the hens. First those dogs came in and wiped out a third of my flock. Got some chicks and the bleeping rats got through the wire and killed 12 of my 20 chicks. Moved the survivors back into the hourse. Today, the replacements I got from the hatchery came it and due to a miscommunication between me and my dad, he didn't shut the puppy away from them and when he went out check on them, he found the puppy IN the brooder and 4 chicks dead and 3 on the verge. He didn't tell me because he felt sick about it, just put the three iffy ones in the packing box, which he placed in the brooder. I get home really late and find one chick gone and the other two freezing cold and barely moving. I quickly put them in another box with a heating pad to get their temperature up and just now (2 hours later), they were perkier. Even opening their eyes some. I gave them a little sugar water. We'll see how they fare in the morning, but I'm hoping they make it.
hit.gif
fl.gif

Awe man...this totally sucks. I am soo sorry.

I hope you new babies make it!
hugs.gif

Okay, so here's the recipe for Pho Bo. I've been doing this for years, and while you CAN used beef stock as a base and just add everything in it's best to do it the old-fashioned way with beef bones and meat.

Shopping List:
5 lbs beef bones*
2 lbs beef chuck/round (cut into 2 cps)*
2 to 3 (3") pcs ginger, charred
2 medium yellow onions, charred
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 oz rock sugar**
15 whole star anise, toasted
8 whole cloves, toasted
3 (3") pcs cinnamon bark/stick, toasted
2 tbs sea salt
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of dry 1/8" to 1/4" rice fettuccini, soaked, cooked & drained (use the stuff Hung said to use, it's the only good one!)
1/3 lb beef sirloin, slightly frozen, sliced paper-thin (across grain)

*In lieu of these items, I use 7 lbs of beef ribs. You get the meat & the marrow.
**In lieu of rock sugar, use 3 tbs of regular sugar.

Garnishes:
1/2 small yellow onion, sliced paper-thin
3 scallions, cut into rings
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 lb bean sprouts
10 sprigs basil (Asian preferred)
1 dozen saw-leaf herb leaves
6 Thai bird chilies, cut into rings
1 to 2 limes, cut in wedges
Freshly ground black pepper
Hoisin sauce
Chili sauce

Directions:
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot. This will be the start of the soup base.

In a 2nd stockpot, place the bones and beef chuck and water to cover. Bring to a boil, then let boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bones and beef chuck to the 1st pot; discard the water in the 2nd pot.

When the water returns to a boil in the 1st pot, reduce heat to a simmer. Skim the surface to remove foam and fat that will rise (you will have to do this often throughout the cooking process).

Add charred ginger, onions, fish sauce, and sugar to pot. Simmer until the beef chuck is tender (approx. 45 minutes). Remove one piece of beef chuck from broth & place in cool water to prevent discoloration and the meat from toughening (leave for 10 minutes). Drain, cut into thin slices, and reserve for later.

Let broth simmer for 1 1/2 hours. After toasting star anise, cloves, and cinnamon, place in cheesecloth and add to the broth. Wait 30 minutes, then add salt. Simmer for 2 hours.

Serve:
Place noodles in bowls.
Place slices of beef chuck and raw sirloin on noodles.
Bring broth to a boil.
Ladle broth into bowl to just cover the noodles (more or less depending on how much broth you like).
Garnish with whatever you want.

Notes:
I like to use the beef ribs instead of beef bones and beef chuck. They seem to make a richer beef stock. Also with all the ribs we have left over (if we don't eat them with our soup), we barbecue the next day. They have a nice aroma, flavor, and the meat literally falls off the bones.

If you make the soup the night before, it is ready for the morning to eat. The bonus is the soup tastes better the second day.

Most recipes tell you to discard the onions, ginger, and spices after you're done making the broth. I don't throw any of it away. I leave everything in the pot for so the flavors can infuse even more.
Printed it and I will try the Chicken recipe first then yours and report back. THANKS!!!

hit.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Hmmm... On the website it says they they may include crested ducks in your order and when you order Swedish is says
"blue variety ordered from Ideal Poultry may include black, blue or splash chicks.

Crested Blue Swedish could possibly be included with your order."

It's a bummer when you don't get the animals you were wanting though. My biggest gripe with Ideal is that they will send lots of male packing peanuts unless you pick up in person or specifically check not to add them.
I drove to pick these guys up. I just got irritated that I had specifically said no crested birds and I ended up with 3 out of 5 crested. Oh well. They will stay here on their 10 acres until they pass. They all 7 consider themselves family. Thankfully!

M

hit.gif
fl.gif
Good luck!
M

Ugh.  This has been a horrible few months with the hens.  First those dogs came in and wiped out a third of my flock.  Got some chicks and the bleeping rats got through the wire and killed 12 of my 20 chicks.  Moved the survivors back into the hourse.  Today, the replacements I got from the hatchery came it and due to a miscommunication between me and my dad, he didn't shut the puppy away from them and when he went out check on them, he found the puppy IN the brooder and 4 chicks dead and 3 on the verge.  He didn't tell me because he felt sick about it, just put the three iffy ones in the packing box, which he placed in the brooder.  I get home really late and find one chick gone and the other two freezing cold and barely moving.  I quickly put them in another box with a heating pad to get their temperature up and just now (2 hours later), they were perkier.  Even opening their eyes some.  I gave them a little sugar water.  We'll see how they fare in the morning, but I'm hoping they make it. :hit :fl
I'm sorry. That really sucks!

Back
Top Bottom