Texas

Pretty little thing! If you give her a chance to hatch them -- that would put you 2-weeks into January (for hatch)-- And they would hatch in what's going to be the coldest part of the year -- Looking at the long-range forecast here - there are no overnights predicted below 46-degrees (it goes as far as Jan. 9th. )

Maybe it would be a good time for her to brood chicks?

-- I have one that may be on the edge of going broody -- and just not the right eggs to set....Putting breeding pairs together right around now....so making sure that the rooster that I intend to be, will be the daddy -- may take a few weeks.

It's a good time to think of it. And just remember that if there would be a power failure for awhile -- it wouldn't have an effect on the incubator or brooder.
Good luck . Let us know what you decide on.

Last edited:
74353839f172f6ab1452f64f8a097909.jpg
Today's project, 10'X10' chicken run/ play pin. Not done yet still have to put up the hardwire cloth when it comes in. Let me know what yall think!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

hello all!! I am new. Been lurking for a long time.
I am in West Texas.
I got my first chicks from Tractor Supply last spring. Then I decided to hatch some eggs in my classroom, and it's been a love affair since!
So far I have chickens (about 20), ducks (about a dozen), turkeys (4), guineas (about a dozen) and peachicks (5). Everything lives together, except the peas are in a smaller enclosure within the bigger yard.

I am in West Texas.
I got my first chicks from Tractor Supply last spring. Then I decided to hatch some eggs in my classroom, and it's been a love affair since!
So far I have chickens (about 20), ducks (about a dozen), turkeys (4), guineas (about a dozen) and peachicks (5). Everything lives together, except the peas are in a smaller enclosure within the bigger yard.
Welcome supergirl105...my experience is that West Texas is a great place to raise poultry.

Hello! I just started with a backyard flock of 5 in Central Texas!
smile.png

My chickens are just starting to go outside, and I'm trying to decide the best way to maintain my run in an efficient way and to keep the smell down because I'm in a neighborhood. My run is covered, so that will help keep some rain out! We've had plenty this year, that's for sure.

Would y'all let me know what you do in your run? I'm considering wood chips, leaves, sand, leaving it as dirt, or any mixture of those! I'm also open to suggestions. I'm hoping to keep the run from getting muddy. Thank you!!!!

Hannah

Quote:
Hello! I just started with a backyard flock of 5 in Central Texas!
smile.png

My chickens are just starting to go outside, and I'm trying to decide the best way to maintain my run in an efficient way and to keep the smell down because I'm in a neighborhood. My run is covered, so that will help keep some rain out! We've had plenty this year, that's for sure.

Would y'all let me know what you do in your run? I'm considering wood chips, leaves, sand, leaving it as dirt, or any mixture of those! I'm also open to suggestions. I'm hoping to keep the run from getting muddy. Thank you!!!!

Hannah

frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg!
I am in West Texas.
frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg. Be careful....you might get addicted.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom