Texas

Hey everyone I have a question, I live in the Texas panhandle and it's 26 outside but feels like 17, at what Temps do yall keep ur chickens in at? We usually try to keep them in when it's below freezing.

We do not keep ours in because of cold temperatures. They are much happier being free to roam around. Chickens have a body temp of around 103*F - the cold isn't really a problem for them if they have been properly acclimated. Birds that are kept with heat lamps and/or brought in and out of the house where they have artificial weather are at risk for problems, but healthy birds that are acclimated to the outdoors do quite well as long as they have the ability to get out of cold wind and be sheltered from rain by getting under cars, under tarps, in the barn, etc. If the weather is going to go from warm to cold right away because of a front coming in during the night, and on the coldest days with temps down in the single digits/teens, then I throw out scratch and BOSS to help them heat themselves from the inside out.

Quote:
Follow up question - anyone have problems with crazy temp swings? I worry about this 80F one day, 25F then next stuff and have Naked Necks who refuse to take cover and like to roost in open air (in an enclosed safe run, of course). They did fine the last time that happened, but NNs are pretty tough. Wondering if anyone has seen problems with the swings otherwise (given your comment about acclimatization).

(I'm actually sort of thinking of the chicks I'll be raising this spring as well...)

- Ant Farm

Follow up question - anyone have problems with crazy temp swings? I worry about this 80F one day, 25F then next stuff and have Naked Necks who refuse to take cover and like to roost in open air (in an enclosed safe run, of course). They did fine the last time that happened, but NNs are pretty tough. Wondering if anyone has seen problems with the swings otherwise (given your comment about acclimatization).

(I'm actually sort of thinking of the chicks I'll be raising this spring as well...)

- Ant Farm
Up here we have those wild temp swings usually at least once every couple of weeks, sometimes once a week or even twice a week. It's more of a pain for me than it is for the birds. But when we get those wild swings where the temp drops 30 to 50 degrees suddenly, that is when I for sure give the birds scratch/BOSS. If it is supposed to happen during the night, then a little before dark I'll throw out the grains and if the front comes in during the day, then I watch the weather and throw it out when the front first starts coming in.

Star and Snow are beautiful...as are the birds but those pups just stole my heart.
Thank you. I like the pups much better but don't tell my chickens or ducks, lol
smile.png

Ren, those pups are beautiful!
love.gif
Thank you
smile.png

I agree with the others, very nice looking pups......

be fun to watch their progression...
Thank you. I will post as they progress. They were born in a goat pen with chickens and ducks. Both parents are working LGDs so we are off to a good start
fl.gif

Gorgeous puppies. Where did you get them from?

This is ours, she's about 6 months old now. Her name is Sugar.
She is beautiful and so are your GS. My hat is off to you and your husband. Good luck with the GS training.

We got the pups from a breeder in Caldwell.

Hey everyone I have a question, I live in the Texas panhandle and it's 26 outside but feels like 17, at what Temps do yall keep ur chickens in at? We usually try to keep them in when it's below freezing.

I'm closer to Odessa so we haven't had that low of temperature. We did have a few hard freezes, I just made sure everyone had fresh hay, plenty of water, and locked the chickens in the enclosed run (a 10x10 dog kennel with roosts and house if they wanted it) so they would *have to* snuggle together for warmth.

I'm closer to Odessa so we haven't had that low of temperature. We did have a few hard freezes, I just made sure everyone had fresh hay, plenty of water, and locked the chickens in the enclosed run (a 10x10 dog kennel with roosts and house if they wanted it) so they would *have to* snuggle together for warmth.
okay I'm just wondering what other people do, my wife and I just keep ours locked up in there coop when it get below freezing and when it and if it gets above freezing we let them out in there pin. And if it don't get above freezing we let them out free roaming for about 15 to 20 min

We had several days of 20's about a week ago and over the past three years (since we first got our birds) have had sub-zero several times here in the winter. Those little birds are a lot more harty than we give them credit for. Our chickens just go about their business, scratching and eating and chasing each other around. Our ducks go sliding on their frozen water and our geese continue to be silly geese. We have not lost a bird to the cold yet.

Thank you. I like the pups much better but don't tell my chickens or ducks, lol
smile.png

Thank you
smile.png

Thank you. I will post as they progress. They were born in a goat pen with chickens and ducks. Both parents are working LGDs so we are off to a good start
fl.gif

She is beautiful and so are your GS. My hat is off to you and your husband. Good luck with the GS training.

We got the pups from a breeder in Caldwell.
Curious how much the pups where???
Caldwell's doable. I'm debating on trying to breed sugar once, LGD's down here are so hard to find, people steal them from other people. lol that, and they are notorious for running off. ^.^

Back
Top Bottom