Texas

Welcome, veganchick4life!

My sister is on a small farm in Abernathy with horses, chickens, and LGDs :) I'm curious how your gardening is going if your soil is anything like her's: constantly shifting orange dust if I'm remembering correctly.

I'd love to hear more about how you're trying to be self sufficient! I practice permaculture here in Dallas and can imagine the Lubbock area would be a blank slate that would take time to build up wind breaks and water catches to create microclimates and start building the soil into something that can hold water and not blow around so much.

Last edited:
Welcome, veganchick4life!

My sister is on a small farm in Abernathy with horses, chickens, and LGDs
smile.png
I'm curious how your gardening is going if your soil is anything like her's: constantly shifting orange dust if I'm remembering correctly.

I'd love to hear more about how you're trying to be self sufficient! I practice permaculture here in Dallas and can imagine the Lubbock area would be a blank slate that would take time to build up wind breaks and water catches to create microclimates and start building the soil into something that can hold water and not blow around so much.

The soil where I am is bad. I can grow fruit trees were effort. However, a garden requires better top soil. I remember when I could build coops, and going as deep as the post hole digger would go, before putting in a tall 4x8 in the ground, I kept having to water it, to get mud, because it was all sand that far down. So, for me, a raised garden is the way to go. What I would love to have is an aquaponic set up. However, even when I could build the marine batteries, and plumping were beyond me. Structures I could do, no problem.

One of the most dangerous yet satisfying types of math out there!
Indeed, especially, when your wife gets unhappy with your growth. I have found (not trying to be sexist whatsoever, I don't believe in that) that mostly women like chickens. My wife is the exception. I am the chicken lover in the family. Then again, I love the majestic nature of all birds. I guess that is why my fascination with chickens, besides spending some quality time on my Grandfather's ranch when I was in first grade. He had a chicken and duck pen, and I loved to go down the general store and pick them out. The cattle were interesting when they were in the barn, snorting and eating their alfalfa and hay. They were free range. Once a week, the milt tanker would show up take the milk and be on it's way. He never had a bull on the property except in the cattle pen for rental as a breeder. When one of his calves was a male, he would castrate it and make sure it got plenty of barley. He had names for all his cattle. I asked him about the castrated calf. 'His name is 'fat boy'.

Why fat Fat Boy; because it was going to fatten him up to butcher him in as a yearling.

I remember going with him to a cattle auction, and warned to sit stock still not even scratch my nose. He won a calf, and to this day, I have yet to figure out why he didn't take the '57 Chevy and took the old Caddy Boat. The calf was bound and put in the truck to take back to the ranch, and that thing crapped all over his trunk. Speaking of which, you haven't lived until you are a barefoot kid who steps in warm cow pie by accident.

If it weren't for having OPMD manifest and shut me down, I would be saving for the lot behind me, to have the trees cleared, and put a few cattle out there. Every time I see a cattle gate, or cattle It brings a flood of memories. My wife was raised with 20 acres that was never used. They had a cat. So, this agrarian lifestyle is foreign to her.

No one warned me about how addicting the baby cutness is! I've been up to the feed store more often than usual since I got the 27 chicks two and a half weeks ago. Today I couldn't say no to the ducklings any longer. I told myself I was only going to get two but there were only three left, I just couldn't leave one duckling sad and alone. I've also collected chicken rain boots, a chicken decal for my cup, and chicken planters for my herbs, now my friends are calling me the "crazy chicken lady". Loving all of these little babies!

Pretty chicks! What breeds?
frow.gif

Hello yall,
I am from lubbock Texas and am fairly new to the world of owning chickens but am already addicted. My husband and I are trying to become completely self sufficient and have many animals on our farm but my chickens are my favorite. My goal is to have a few of several of my favorite breeds. I am still learning and have lots and lots of questions that I am hoping yall can answer. Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!
Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Candleing went well, a double yoker and only one dud. So, hatching day should go well.
Good luck with your hatch!!
fl.gif

No one warned me about how addicting the baby cutness is! I've been up to the feed store more often than usual since I got the 27 chicks two and a half weeks ago. Today I couldn't say no to the ducklings any longer. I told myself I was only going to get two but there were only three left, I just couldn't leave one duckling sad and alone. I've also collected chicken rain boots, a chicken decal for my cup, and chicken planters for my herbs, now my friends are calling me the "crazy chicken lady". Loving all of these little babies!

Hi! My name is scubastasia and I am a chickaholic.
Hello yall,
I am from lubbock Texas and am fairly new to the world of owning chickens but am already addicted. My husband and I are trying to become completely self sufficient and have many animals on our farm but my chickens are my favorite. My goal is to have a few of several of my favorite breeds. I am still learning and have lots and lots of questions that I am hoping yall can answer. Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!
frow.gif
Howdy and welcome from Rosenberg! Come back and bring pictures! :)

Indeed, especially, when your wife gets unhappy with your growth. I have found (not trying to be sexist whatsoever, I don't believe in that) that mostly women like chickens. My wife is the exception. I am the chicken lover in the family. Then again, I love the majestic nature of all birds. I guess that is why my fascination with chickens, besides spending some quality time on my Grandfather's ranch when I was in first grade. He had a chicken and duck pen, and I loved to go down the general store and pick them out. The cattle were interesting when they were in the barn, snorting and eating their alfalfa and hay. They were free range. Once a week, the milt tanker would show up take the milk and be on it's way. He never had a bull on the property except in the cattle pen for rental as a breeder. When one of his calves was a male, he would castrate it and make sure it got plenty of barley. He had names for all his cattle. I asked him about the castrated calf. 'His name is 'fat boy'.

Why fat Fat Boy; because it was going to fatten him up to butcher him in as a yearling.

I remember going with him to a cattle auction, and warned to sit stock still not even scratch my nose. He won a calf, and to this day, I have yet to figure out why he didn't take the '57 Chevy and took the old Caddy Boat. The calf was bound and put in the truck to take back to the ranch, and that thing crapped all over his trunk. Speaking of which, you haven't lived until you are a barefoot kid who steps in warm cow pie by accident.

If it weren't for having OPMD manifest and shut me down, I would be saving for the lot behind me, to have the trees cleared, and put a few cattle out there. Every time I see a cattle gate, or cattle It brings a flood of memories. My wife was raised with 20 acres that was never used. They had a cat. So, this agrarian lifestyle is foreign to her.

That sounds like an awesome way to grow up. I grew up in the city limits. Don't get me wrong, my childhood was nearly perfect but to grow up around cattle, chickens and farm life sounds like a dream. One day, I will have my own little farm; just have to get my teenagers through school first!

Back
Top Bottom