Texas

2 Pullets 5 months old in Houston free to good home: one Barred Rock and one Silver Laced Wyandotte. You must pickup in Southwest Houston.

I also have 2 white leghorn hens that are 2 years old and 6 other hens at 4 years old. They are also available for free if interested.
Any pictures? Can I ask why you are rehoming them.

Technically, neither can we. ;)

I refer to these as "Asian Ground Parrots". Pets, not livestock.
Thankfully, I can just call my chicken chicken around here. Asian Ground Parrots.... such an interesting idea. Sure I keep a pseudo exotic breed as well with my Sumatras. However, ground parrots in a region with 2 different species of parrots(red and green capped), I can't imagine anyone would go for the ground parrot thing here in TexMexico.

I imagine you could totally get away with it though(the Asian Ground parrot thing) when the little buggers are mature at only 5 or so pounds and make butt nuggets half as large as a grown mans thumb, and don't look like anybody's idea of a chicken. Regardless, mine are still chicken to me for the legal protection Texas law provides.

I'm so happy I live in a region of Texas that is still stuck in the 1950's. I gave my local fruit stand vendor a dozen eggs after he was telling me about what makes Mexican raised eggs and chicken taste so much better than pale yolked steroidal things from Walmart. The guy never asked if I was NPIP certified just took them and said thank you, then told me my free rangers were lacking a true orange hue(egg yolks). I still don't get the point he was making regarding yolk color as the only thing I feed my chicken now that they are mature is their own butt nuggets scrambled and cooled prior to roost o'clock(I hate seeing empty crops in the flock and prefer to scrape poo off the coop floor than think they are hungry at night).

Regardless, these free rangers do produce the most orange hued yolks I have yet to see. The whole conversation began over a discussion of him stocking(and being out of) purple garlic from Mexico vs. the bleached white junk from China. Regardless, I am sure I am driveling on, and adapting to a life of only having seasonal non GMO veggies as my breakfast smootie has forced to use papaya(instead of Mango/Pineapple) plus bananas and seasonal citrus. Oh yeah, the fruit store guy is a cash and carry business everything is sold at the dollar level not by weight, so 30ish key limes for a buck, papaya for a buck, and if I am feeling really cheap I will steal food from the mouths of our Green Jays and eat my own citrus for breakfast. One other cool thing about this area is the vanilla I use comes from south of the border at around 2 bucks a liter(totally banned by the FDA for it's carcinogens since the 1980's), regardless it does taste better than the imitation DOW/Corning stuff you buy from HEB and actually need to measure because it is so expensive.

Sounds like a delicious breakfast. Fresh fruit.

I got a mess of pumpkin/squash after Halloween. Fried squash mash is an intriguing taste and works well with the egg/onion/pepper for breakfast. You can also smother it in butter, cinnamon and brown sugar and have sweet potato casserole with squash. But that isn't as healthy. :)

The squash skins and seeds go to the Asian Ground Parrots (and the dogs) and the yolks, due to the large influx of orange (beta-carotene and such) turn the yolks a lovely color. Deeper and richer than their normal diet which is richer than the store eggs. It changes with the diet.

I fed them the leftover crawfish shells once and yolks turned unbelievably orange. The parrots delighted in the shells.

I will agree to a point with the fruit stand seller. Fresh eggs taste better. I couldn't tell a taste difference between the orange and pale eggs or the blue shelled ones. But if he is convinced that orange yolks taste better, get ducks. I heard someone say that blue eggs taste better. I think they were fresher than the store eggs. But if blue egg shells do it for someone or oranger yolks, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom