Texas

Anybody in the south east Texas region processing their own meat birds? I'm interested in learning how to pith (debrain) and dry pluck?

Processing = yes
Pith = no (although it does sound easy)
I scald and pluck. I cannot imagine dry plucking. Makes my hand hurt just thinking about it. Some of the smaller feathers need picking and it is detailed work. It takes me about 20-40 minutes per bird with scalding. Dry pluck would take longer.

May I inquire why you want to dry pluck? A crawfish pot and burner works very well. As does a turkey fryer.

I like to minimize the equipment needed. Know anybody with a pucker?

I hand pluck after scalding. Dry plucking is an option - not a good one, imho. Don't know anyone with a plucker, yet. ;) Got a couple guys talking about going in halfsies. Talking...:rolleyes: I don't raise enough to justify the expense.

I've raised 7 Barred Rock Hens for meat last year followed by 2 batches (5 + 21 made it to harvest) of CX this year. And then a hatched cockerel went to the gumbeaux pot last week. Good gumbeaux. CX is really the economical answer. Enough people on BYC and utube have convinced me. Both tasted like chicken. We did all the processing in the backyard. Can do 7 birds in a day by myself, but it is work and I've got a desk job. It goes quicker with help. Looking at quail this year as we eat the fall CX.

Short answer. Raise the meaties like chickens and all will be fine. Not that hard either.

I hand pluck after scalding. Dry plucking is an option - not a good one, imho. Don't know anyone with a plucker, yet. ;) Got a couple guys talking about going in halfsies. Talking...:rolleyes: I don't raise enough to justify the expense.

I have a family of 8 wife and 6 kids Ave a dog. Want about a dozen plus egg and baby making birds and then about 20 meat birds to process once every 3 months if a couple locals wanted to go in on a plucker I'm sure I could talk the wife into it and do a get together and prices all the birds once every 3 months

For CX try windymeadowshatchery.com - best pricing I've found on chicks.

20 CX in a tractor is doable. With that many kids, you will have plenty of help plucking. You've been blessed!

How much land do you have?

I was getting a dozen eggs a day at peak with 18 layers. Leghorns, production reds and Barred Rocks.

For CX try windymeadowshatchery.com - best pricing I've found on chicks.

20 CX in a tractor is doable. With that many kids, you will have plenty of help plucking. You've been blessed!

How much land do you have?

I was getting a dozen eggs a day at peak with 18 layers. Leghorns, production reds and Barred Rocks.

Very bless indeed.

We sit on an acre with 20 next door. Want to free range since we have room. What's a good fast growing free range meat bird?

Very bless indeed.

We sit on an acre with 20 next door. Want to free range since we have room. What's a good fast growing free range meat bird?

Do your research. I'd suggest CX. I let mine out in the garden area. Not 20 acres, but they got around and ate grass, bugs and the garden. Buddy free ranges his CX with little supplemental feed. 4 pound birds at 12 weeks, but free ranged.

The more feed you provide, the faster & larger they grow. My target is 8 weeks to harvest.

I like to minimize the equipment needed. Know anybody with a pucker?

I usually just skin but I have plucked a couple times and I just used a big stock pot and the stovetop. I generally only do 6 birds at a time, though. I've become very fast with practice but it still gets tedious lol.

What is the debraining for? Do you eat the brain?

I wouldn't doubt there are some videos of home made pluckers on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom