Texas

My recipe is kinda like Kiki's but I use either stew meat, or shoulder chuck, cut it up into 1/2" squares. Saute onions, and brown the meat in lard. I cheat with a can of stewed tomatoes (Del Monte Mexican recipe stewed tomatoes) 1tbsp of Oregano, 1 small can of tomatoe sauce and enough water or chicken broth to cover everything. Add everything, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let cook for 2 or 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
Sean, just curious what type of lard you buy. I am not able to to find any that does not have a strong odor. Nothing like we used to render when I was a kid.

Armour MANTECA, HEB and Wally World both carry it.
Popular with the hispanics brand. :D

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 7.49.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 7.48.15 AM.png

Yep, Native Americans, too! Personally, I think it's the best. Doesn't smell but lends that 'certain' goodness to anything that you would normally use a vegetable oil to cook with.
We use bacon drippings when we are lucky enough to have bacon. Fat free turkey "bacon-labeled-substances" tastes so much better fried in bacon drippings. ;) I recommend bacon though because bacon.

Crazy Lady's family reunion has cracklins as a side. The fat rendered from the pork bellies is handed out for cooking. There is a line for the cracklins and a line for the grease. Fresh from the kettle cracklins are in another class. I recommend them.

Do y'all render your own lard or just store buy it? Mom only bought it for tamales. We ate enough bacon and sausage to have a ready supply for beans.

We use bacon drippings when we are lucky enough to have bacon. Fat free turkey "bacon-labeled-substances" tastes so much better fried in bacon drippings. ;) I recommend bacon though because bacon.

Crazy Lady's family reunion has cracklins as a side. The fat rendered from the pork bellies is handed out for cooking. There is a line for the cracklins and a line for the grease. Fresh from the kettle cracklins are in another class. I recommend them.

Do y'all render your own lard or just store buy it? Mom only bought it for tamales. We ate enough bacon and sausage to have a ready supply for beans.
All I get now is store bought. Growing up we butchered hogs and rendered lard and made cracklings. All done in a kettle on an outdoor fire. We processed and ate everything we could from nose to tail. Except for the squeal. Only because we couldn’t see it. Cured hams, shoulders and sides. Mom kept a tin of lard by the stove and we scooped out what we needed. All cooked in cast iron.

Back
Top Bottom