Texas

I use Amdro but keep the chickens away for a day or 2 by putting a wire screen over the mounds and after the 2 days shovel out the Amdro remains that the ants return to the surface.

I have had a couple of chickens eat a small amount after the ants extracted the chemical (just several grains) with no apparent ill effects. The best time to put out the Amdro is just before a rain or early in the morning the ants will almost immediately collect the bait and take it to the mound and later the same day return the husks to the surface that is when I remove it with a shovel and the ants will die in a few days after that.

I read the "grit" thing does not really work, it just makes them move. That it would not cause them to "blow up" because they use liquid in their mouth to break them down before they eat them. I also use Amdro, put it out after I after I lock up everyone for the night, then don't let me out till I clean up the piles the next day.

I normally put the Amdro on lids from various things, so I can just pick up the leftovers in the lid, let the girls out, when I lock them back up, just top off and put the lids back out.

Anyone in the Tomball or Hockley area get their layer feed from Livengood feeds? I'm really wanting to get away from pelleted Purina, and since they're a feed mill, I was wondering if theirs was more of a grain mash. There isn't any detail on their website.

A reminder to BYC members in Austin:

The deadline for submission of your coop to be on the Austin Funky Chicken Coop Tour is this Friday, January 18.

Don miss out in showing everyone how proud you are of your coop, plus you will meet other BYC members and the owner of BYC, Rob Ludow.

Apply now: www.austincooptour.org

I bought a bunch of grits to try and get rid of my fired ant, but then read on a county extension website I was just feeding them, now I get to feed us instead. This was about a year ago, so I can't remember, but they went through the breakdown with the studies that showed, if you put it on their mound they just move. IDK, then again there are a lot of "old wives tales" that doctors said are not true but over time, they still seem to be, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom