Texas

LOL - They sure aren't as pretty as they are BEFORE they attack. I wasn't so sure we'd be able to butcher chickens ourselves, but having a snarky attack chicken makes it a WHOLE lot easier to butcher them.

This morning when he did it, I just walked towards him quietly. Not chasing per se, just walking him off with him walking hurriedly in front of me looking over his shoulder.

Does that sound like an appropriate response? Any other suggestions?

That's good, that means he is still acknowledging that you are the boss over him. As long as he backs down, things should be fine. It's when he doesn't back down and keeps doing his stomping and challenging during that one particular incident that is a problem.

If he ever doesn't back down with walking toward him, then you'll need to start pushing him away from you. Not gently either. You need to push him back so his body literally moves several inches to a foot away from you. Out in the open, this can be harder to do with your hand, in which case you may need to give him the boot by literally "kicking" at him - where your foot goes underneath him and you lift him up with your foot and toss him away from you. If you have to push him away multiple times and he keeps coming at you - beware of him getting ready to spur you and don't run from him. Give him the boot really good until he backs down.

It's when they won't back down during a single episode that you have to watch for. Usually it doesn't take more than twice in an episode for me to shove them back from me and they back down and go on. If they want to do their stomping and eyeballing you from a few feet away, that's different than trying to get into your personal space, cuz that's when they can hurt you if they escalate and keep coming at you.

Ninja chicken is a good description. They are fast and you think you've gotten your leg out of the way and then they flip their legs up and get your arm or even your face if you are bent over. You just have to be watchful of any of them that don't walk away and go on about their business.

It was one the saddest thing I had ever seen. I saw him across the field and he saw me at the same time. He looked and looked, then slowly walked down the dried river bed through the tall grass and came to my fence trying to get in. All the other free range birds, all Ameraucanas the same age, came to the fence. You could see the conversation going on as they fussed with him. Then the blue cockerel walked up, dropped a wing and stomped and the poor lost one ran/flew back and forth along the fence line. After a few minutes of this, I moved the blue cockerel away and the lost bird calmed down. I tried to phone my neighbor but she wasn't home. I waited around for a good half an hour as he tried to push through the fence. I was afraid to leave him alone in the field with no dog or person to protect him. Finally, with a sad look over his shoulder he slowly trudged off to his new home. I often see him looking at me if I am out with my chickens. It was very sad. I haven't noticed him back since, just looking my way.

Poor guy! He hasn't integrated well with others yet. Hopefully the longer it goes, he'll mesh with everyone at his new home.

Poor guy! He hasn't integrated well with others yet. Hopefully the longer it goes, he'll mesh with everyone at his new home.
From a distance, he looks fine, just a little lonely. He's poking around foraging with his tail up, looking comfortable and not intimidated. The other chickens seem to ignore him--they might be a few feet away foraging. He's used to going everywhere with my little flock of Ameraucanas. They are only 5 months old, so the flock is pretty tight knit. My neighbor's chickens are older and they spread out over her yard. I only see my neighbor's chickens in a tight group when they cross the dried creek bed and go into the field--really a wide strip of land--that is next to my fence. It isn't mowed, and there are lots of cedar and oak so they are extra vigilant.

That's good, that means he is still acknowledging that you are the boss over him. As long as he backs down, things should be fine. It's when he doesn't back down and keeps doing his stomping and challenging during that one particular incident that is a problem.

If he ever doesn't back down with walking toward him, then you'll need to start pushing him away from you. Not gently either. You need to push him back so his body literally moves several inches to a foot away from you. Out in the open, this can be harder to do with your hand, in which case you may need to give him the boot by literally "kicking" at him - where your foot goes underneath him and you lift him up with your foot and toss him away from you. If you have to push him away multiple times and he keeps coming at you - beware of him getting ready to spur you and don't run from him. Give him the boot really good until he backs down.

It's when they won't back down during a single episode that you have to watch for. Usually it doesn't take more than twice in an episode for me to shove them back from me and they back down and go on. If they want to do their stomping and eyeballing you from a few feet away, that's different than trying to get into your personal space, cuz that's when they can hurt you if they escalate and keep coming at you.

Ninja chicken is a good description. They are fast and you think you've gotten your leg out of the way and then they flip their legs up and get your arm or even your face if you are bent over. You just have to be watchful of any of them that don't walk away and go on about their business.
Thanks for your comments. I've done a lot of studying and workshops with professional animal trainers who consult for zoos. In general, the operant conditioning branch of modifying behavior tends to avoid aversives. Violence often begets violence. At the same time, I don't want to let aggressive behavior go that could turn into dangerous behavior.

I'll drive him off by walking at him if he directs any of that behavior my way.

Now, what does a courtship dance look like? I've read how a dancing rooster is less rough on a hen than one who just grabs the hen, but what does it look like?

Doing what we do
smile.png
sorry not a chicken picture. Horse.
http://birdie52.smugmug.com/Other/NRS-Round-3-A/31623362_bfJQWp/2740101909_jn4hxR5

WOW, those are some good looking horses and mule!!!! How cool.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom