Texas

I will say that my Aussie has chased a few off that were approaching our yard, and of course I was clueless. I I was on the pier fishing in the early AM and had no clue till she started going nuts.

Yes, she is the best. She has saved my rear a few times before when I forgot to wear my snake boots!!
After the first rattlesnake scare, we went to the vet and got the rattlesnake shot for dogs!!
We haven't tested it out though, and certainly don't want to!! (Knock on wood!)

I don't drink wine, but I obtained a wine chiller. I hope it works out. That way at 65 degrees when I want to keep fertile hatching eggs stable before shipment keeping the embeyos.

New member in Texas, Just thought i'd drop in and say Hi. I'm from the big city of Rye, in Liberty County.

Welcome hope you have a fun time here
big_smile.png

Here in West Central Texas the coyotes are most active at dusk, through the night and into the a.m. when they are returning to their dens. We have seven dogs that free roam our property a little bit each day and do their "duty" all around the perameter of our farm. The result is that the coyotes pretty much avoid us. But, at night, we can hear them circling around us, yapping and howling. That is when our dogs go ballistic and charge the dark but all within our fences. A shotgun blast to the sky will send them scattering.
X2 however, a shotgun blast to the sky sends our Pyrs scattering. Just seeing a gun our dogs take off running. One day I was trying to get a shot at a rattlesnake that was under our pool deck and one of our Pyrs climbed the fence right in front of me to get away.

New member in Texas, Just thought i'd drop in and say Hi. I'm from the big city of Rye, in Liberty County.
welcome-byc.gif

Northeast Texas have been raising birds a few years without much knowledge now I am gaining some knowledge thank yall
welcome-byc.gif

From East Texas here. I have gotten a ton of needed info from here. Thankful for all the guys who post
welcome-byc.gif

You're right about shooting the coyotes, but like had been mentioned, people aren't usually around when they strike. This same ranch had to get rid of a herd of goats because even though they had Great Pyrenees guard dogs, the coyotes were double teaming the dogs to keep them busy, and yet another going in for the kill. Tell you what though, after my cat was taken, I carried my gun with me whenever I went outside in case a coyote was stupid enough to appear. Usually around here, they're most active at dusk and into the evening. They killed my cat at night. My dogs and I could hear it, but could never have gotten there to save him. :( When they start howling, I go outside and shoot at a haybale a number of times. Just the noise scares them off if they don't have prey in sight.
So sorry about your cat. We just had to put one of our two Pyrs down and it worries me with just one out there now. A good pair works just as you mentioned above. One goes out to the intruder while one stays with the herd. Pyrs are not herding dogs but they will when an intruder threatens.

X2 however, a shotgun blast to the sky sends our Pyrs scattering. Just seeing a gun our dogs take off running. One day I was trying to get a shot at a rattlesnake that was under our pool deck and one of our Pyrs climbed the fence right in front of me to get away.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry about your cat. We just had to put one of our two Pyrs down and it worries me with just one out there now. A good pair works just as you mentioned above. One goes out to the intruder while one stays with the herd. Pyrs are not herding dogs but they will when an intruder threatens.
My only GP died of a heart attack a couple of months ago. Such sweet dogs....and when he "woffed" we all paid attention :D Yep, you're gonna need another!

Back
Top Bottom