Texas

I'll start this one.

I am in San Marcos, between Austin and San Antonio.

FYI
I have been keeping a spread sheet of Texas BYC members for several years. Right now it has 274 members on it. Of course some are no longer members or might have visited only a few times.

Texas, we are strong !

Hello from Dripping Springs! Looking for Texas pages.

Culled two Ameraucanas today. No, not EE's. One too small rooster, and the other a white splash that had some brown in the wings, I didn't want to breed in. Also, he was a jerk. I tried to introduce three of my young hens, out of the grow box, and one of the remaining Splash tried to destroy them. They were moved out. He is next. The other Blue seemed less aggressive to the new comers and has nice breeding characteristics. He gets to live. Culling for personality and breeding characteristics can be work, but it can also be delicious.

Meanwhile, my young hens are with my young Black Copper Marans that are driving Chauncy crazy. He seems them all running around like schools of fish. At first it annoyed him, but he quickly got over it. He is a wonderful huge specimen. I was amused checking out some supposedly prize wining Black Copper Marans that don't hold a candle to him. The pictures on the cages said, "Morans" which gave me a chuckle. The only way it could be more amusing is if it said, "Morons".

Hey everyone!

I was actually wondering if I could ask a few questions of you Texans.

First a little background: My fiance and I are living outside the US, and we plan to move to the states in a few years. I'm from NY, lived in NC 7 years before moving to Sweden to be with him. So all he's heard about Texas is the crap Europeans put on their news sites and whatnot (Europeans hear all sorts of crazy biased stuff about the US). I'm trying to sell him on Texas as a possible state to live in when we make the move! I just need a little more information, and who else would be best to ask but actual Texans? :D

-

What's it like living in Texas? (Are the people friendly, is the weather nice, etc!)

How's the cost of living in Texas?

How's the cost of houses/land in Texas? (ie, can we get a nice little house with a basement and an acre or 2 of property for a decent price)

[COLOR=373E4D]Are there any bad weather extremes in Texas that are somewhat "common"[/COLOR][COLOR=373E4D]?[/COLOR] [COLOR=373E4D](like how Florida gets hurricanes and Cali gets brush fires and earthquakes)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=373E4D]Thanks in advance to anyone who answers and helps me build my case for living in Texas![/COLOR] ;)

You should show him this
1f600.png

https://www.facebook.com/wootchhie/posts/10154499764382538

Just before sunset is such a pleasant time with the chickens. In this pic I am in the chicken yard and they are still out free ranging. Shortly after I took this pic, Blondie started clucking and headed in to roost. I love to listen to the hens little conversations.

I could see it now :p

Texas looks really beautiful!

nunie,

earlier you mentioned basements and texas... basements are few and far between. you have to actively look for basements in texas. reason being this is tornado alley for one of the weather extremes and there are underground tornado shelter which are fairly common... if you needed it be be bigger, you'd either have to build it bigger in the first place or find property that has either a basement or a bigger tornado shelter that suits you.

best luck hunting. (8 years in sw Dallas, hated it... 8 years in se Fort Worth, vast improvement. now 19 years in the se corner of the texas panhandle out in the country and loving it.)

Back
Top Bottom