Texas

Hi all! A new Texan here from Brenham! My husband and I just recently moved to 22 acres from Houston, TX. We love it! About a month ago, I got my first two chickens. I have no experience with chickens, but am quickly learning and loving it! I'm sure I will have many questions.

welcome, welcome!

Hi all,

I had my first chicken casualty this weekend. My little Edith was fine on Thursday (free-ranging and dirt-bathing and bug-eating) but Friday she couldn't walk very well and was very lethargic. I was fortunate to find a vet here who would see her Friday afternoon and he prescribed an antibiotic because he said he could hear lung sounds and usually you couldn't in birds. No impacted crop, no signs of being egg-bound, no respiratory signs such as sneezing or coughing or mucus. He said she might just have had some infection that traveled to her lungs. We gave her the medicine Friday and Saturday but she died on Sunday. I know this is old hat to some of you long-time chicken owners, but I have had chickens for a little less than a year, and I'm sad about it. The vet said that birds sometimes act fine until they're really sick and then it's hard to bring them back to health. But I do wish I had noticed something earlier so I could have given her a better chance.

All my other birds seem to be fine, but I will be checking them often and watching them closely for the time being.

That's all. Just wanted to tell folks who would understand.

--Coopmom56

Last edited:
Hi all,

I had my first chicken casualty this weekend. My little Edith was fine on Thursday (free-ranging and dirt-bathing and bug-eating) but Friday she couldn't walk very well and was very lethargic. I was fortunate to find a vet here who would see her Friday afternoon and he prescribed an antibiotic because he said he could hear lung sounds and usually you couldn't in birds. No impacted crop, no signs of being egg-bound, no respiratory signs such as sneezing or coughing or mucus. He said she might just have had some infection that traveled to her lungs. We gave her the medicine Friday and Saturday but she died on Sunday. I know this is old hat to some of you long-time chicken owners, but I have had chickens for a little less than a year, and I'm sad about it. The vet said that birds sometimes act fine until they're really sick and then it's hard to bring them back to health. But I do wish I had noticed something earlier so I could have given her a better chance.

All my other birds seem to be fine, but I will be checking them often and watching them closely for the time being.

--Coopmom56
hugs.gif
so sorry for your loss. The Vet is right about them acting fine and then real sick. You went right on and got her to the Vet. You did all you could have for her.

I lost one of my Pekin girls last night
hit.gif
I found her when I let them all of out the night pen. No signs of trauma or sickness. Just dead, belly down, feet behind her.

What is that?
www.merckvetmanual.com/.../newcastle_disease.../newcastle_disease_in_...Newcastle disease is an infection of domestic poultry and other bird species with virulent Newcastle disease virus (NDV). It is a worldwide problem that presents primarily as an acute respiratory disease, but depression, nervous manifestations, or diarrhea may be the predominant clinical form.

Thank you..... Sorry for your loss. One of my girls got out of the pen on their second day in and was caught by my dog..... I was so guilty feeling and hurt that one of my babies had died.... I fixed the pen so no more could get out. ( thought that they couldn't before she proved me wrong) The girls would have to be the size of a peanut to get out now.

Hi all,

--Coopmom56
I am soooo sorry! It's hard, you tend to beat yourself up about it, but please don't. I feel for you, I have lost ducks, usually because of MY stupidness, and it hurts. Hang in there! Good luck on the rest of your chickens!

Back
Top Bottom