Texas

Morning update:

Chickaletta be bopped out of the coop this morning like nothing ever happened! Apparently yesterday was a fluke. Now to just keep my babies cool! It's already 95 with an index of 106....

Glad she's ok.

Added ice to mine's water with electrolyte today and hung a small fan in the run. They are all laying in front of the fan in the shade. It's just hot out there today(99) with no wind and the humidity.

Glad she's ok.

Added ice to mine's water with electrolyte today and hung a small fan in the run. They are all laying in front of the fan in the shade. It's just hot out there today(99) with no wind and the humidity.

Thank you. I've been adding ice throughout the day. Now trying to figure out a way to run a cord to the coop so I can set up a fan. I also softened their pellets with some cool water at feeding time which they loved

fe99e22ac7190ca6b71fde3550af21f1.jpg

Standard OEGB

Glad she's ok.

Added ice to mine's water with electrolyte today and hung a small fan in the run. They are all laying in front of the fan in the shade. It's just hot out there today(99) with no wind and the humidity.

have you tried place a few frozen gallon jugs in there?

I tried moistening their food and this flock refuses to try it. First flock I had thought it was great. I tried putting frozen jugs of water in but they seem to be afraid of anything new and it sat until it melted. Haven't tried again but might give it a go as I usually keep a couple in the freezer anyways. These four are more picky than my first flock. Might be the Americana, she's cautious of anything and everything and keeps the others on alert. Three of them are really laid back unless Miss Libby is wound up..

have you tried place a few frozen gallon jugs in there?

I have four gallon jugs in rotation as well as several 2 liter bottles. We're just waiting on this summer to end!!
I use this electrolyte recipe quite often for my flock when it gets hot. http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/07/hot-weather-acidosis-and-homemade.html?m=1. I'll also put peas and a little bit of corn in muffin tins and then fill it up with the electrolyte mix and freeze. When it really hot I'll toss them out there for the birds.

Last edited:
frow.gif
Just popping in to say hey to all and welcome new folks. We are re-digging our pond so days have been long and exhausting. To tired to even get on BYC
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom