Texas

Blink and full body sweat.
I'm sick of hot. It's starting to affect my mood, attitudes, outlook, life in general.

View attachment 3190040
I agree 100% !!! Cooped up all winter waiting for summer, then it dishes us out a scorcher and you can't be outside for 5 minutes without dripping sweat

Ummmm
Block line of sight on outside of door.....it seems
Might I suggest sitting the crate on a table top? Or if that’s not an option. Then my Mcgyver past experience:
1) Cut cardboard to “just inside the surface area” of the crate’s door.
1.5) use zip ties, old shoe lace, scrap bread twist ties? To secure cardboard to door on the inside.
2) cut cardboard to ehhhh, 1/4-1/2 inch into the crate door surface.
2.1) use zip ties, etal for attaching the cardboard to the inside of the crate panel (in the open viewing “lower cut” cardboard section.

This will allow the crates door to open and close like normal but, keep a simple cardboard overlap so no one can view or try to *play* with what’s on the inside of the crate.

Last edited:
Hmmmm
Cardboard on outside of door. As soon as they get a little bigger, cardboard comes out. Right now they fit thru the cage walls
If you care to look at my 1st and 2nd year threads about coop build and hatch outs. You will see vey well, the level of cardboard cutouts I eventually got to make & how they were zip tied, folded under each other etal.

16583199158491432354180958320828.jpg

Cat has lost interest. OR she wants me to THINK she's not interested

Ex-lge dog crate.
4 ft long 30 inches wide 3 ft tall. I can climb inside it. Too heavy for tabletop. I still haven't put cardboard on door. Heavy mexican blanket over crate blocking view. It seems to be working, and helps hold heat in.
Yup. I have a few dog crates that size & several slightly smaller. In fact I had taken two of the slightly smaller ones and zipped them together and made a LONG double crate. It was nicely balanced …. Ah well. You see what i
Mean in those threads. It’s basically the same as you just did too.

Does anyone know someone or some place which dispatches and possibly processes (not as important) chickens next to Fort Worth (we are near Weatherford)? I need to cull two roosters and for the first time, I would prefer either someone to do it or preferably, show me. I don't want to do this the first time through Youtube either as I would prefer it to be as humane and problem free as possible.

Does anyone know someone or some place which dispatches and possibly processes (not as important) chickens next to Fort Worth (we are near Weatherford)? I need to cull two roosters and for the first time, I would prefer either someone to do it or preferably, show me. I don't want to do this the first time through Youtube either as I would prefer it to be as humane and problem free as possible.
I met someone a few months ago via FB-market place on some unrelated item - they had chickens and we talked and how I wasn’t quite ready to handle Culling(kulling?) and they said they knew someone who had a great setup has have taught folks at their place how to do it humanly and efficiently as well.

They both are supposedly on the BYC FB group for DFW. I will have to hunt for their info in the next few days & then reach out to them for that persons name and stuff. Can you give me a reminder DM or in this thread in about a week, please?

I met someone a few months ago via FB-market place on some unrelated item - they had chickens and we talked and how I wasn’t quite ready to handle Culling(kulling?) and they said they knew someone who had a great setup has have taught folks at their place how to do it humanly and efficiently as well.

They both are supposedly on the BYC FB group for DFW. I will have to hunt for their info in the next few days & then reach out to them for that persons name and stuff. Can you give me a reminder DM or in this thread in about a week, please?

Thanks, I'll let you know then if I'm still in need.

Until then (should have asked this before), if anyone is in need of one or both of these silkie roosters for free then please feel free to let me know. They're around 30 weeks old at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_120827120_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220528_120827120_MP.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220526_181038682_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220526_181038682_MP.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220526_181046328_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220526_181046328_MP.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I haven't been over here, to the Texas thread in a while. It just hasn't shown up in my notifications.
so Good morning everyone
Until then (should have asked this before), if anyone is in need of one or both of these silkie roosters for free then please feel free to let me know. They're around 30 weeks old at this point.
Your roosters are so fluffy. I wish I could take one, but I'm not yet set up for another flock just yet. I'm thinking of starting a flock of bantams or smaller sized standards, due to the heat this summer.
My current roosters, with the exception of (7 or 8lb) Little, are all over 10lbs. I think chickens at 3 to 5 lbs would have an easier time in the heat.
Any opinions on this?

I didn't realize you were here in Texas. I follow your "food network" thread 🤣 You are very imaginative in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom