Thank you all!

Drewnkat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Georgia
Today my very first hatch completed, and I couldn't let the day pass without expressing how deeply grateful I am to the community here on this board. The helpful tips, the educational articles, the humorous banter that helps pass the time when all you can do is wait... You all are amazing. I don't know what the hatch rate on my first incubation attempt would have been without you, but it seems unlikely it would be 100%.

Shoot, I still can hardly believe it myself. When I set those 13 eggs in the incubator, I thought to myself "If I end up with 6-8 chicks, that would be a really good hatch rate for the first try."
And now here I am, had to go out and buy another brooder box because in a few days I won't have enough room for all 13.

wee.gif
Congratulations!

Today my very first hatch completed, and I couldn't let the day pass without expressing how deeply grateful I am to the community here on this board. The helpful tips, the educational articles, the humorous banter that helps pass the time when all you can do is wait... You all are amazing. I don't know what the hatch rate on my first incubation attempt would have been without you, but it seems unlikely it would be 100%.

Shoot, I still can hardly believe it myself. When I set those 13 eggs in the incubator, I thought to myself "If I end up with 6-8 chicks, that would be a really good hatch rate for the first try."
And now here I am, had to go out and buy another brooder box because in a few days I won't have enough room for all 13.

That is wonderful!!! I'm so glad that it was a success and you even found some entertainment during the process.
wink.png
Congratulations on the new fuzzies!!
jumpy.gif

Since I am still learning myself...
What type of bator do you have? Did you use dry method? What part of the country are you located in?

So happy for you! I'm attempting my first incubation now, so it's really motivating to hear what great success you had. I couldn't agree more with you that this community is a blessing! Go enjoy your babies!

Since I am still learning myself...
What type of bator do you have? Did you use dry method? What part of the country are you located in?
I am still learning too!
But I will tell you what worked for me:

Styrofoam Hova-bator old model still air.
Converted to a circulated air with a cheap computer fan.
Automatic egg turner, old with damaged motor so I had to order a new one.
Cheapo digital thermometer/hygrometer ordered off Amazon.com, checked for accuracy.

Procedure:
Run incubator for a couple days til you are reasonably sure it will stay between 99-100 degrees.
Collect a few eggs (I didn't even clean em off, which is supposedly a big no-no, but... I guess it's not THAT big of a deal?) chuck them in the turner.
Add water if humidity drops below 20% or so. So I guess, yes I did use low-humidity method.

Stress out and freak out for 7 days, then check air cells.
Keep adjusting temp as needed, chicks put off some heat starting around day 8-10, so if the temp rises a smidge, it's not the end of the world, it's actually a good sign. Freak out anyways.
Candle at day ten if you want to see movement (Unless your eggs have green shells, then don't bother, you won't see squat).
Check again at day 14 for air cell progress.

Day 18:
Remove turner. Add more water. Freak out because humidity won't go over 60%. Add sponges in little containers of water. Note that when you moved the eggs to add water they CHIRPED at you, and freak out again. Prepare brooder with food/water/bedding/heat source. Convince yourself you are probably wasting your time because everything is such a mess

Days 19-21: check incubator every 15 minutes for signs of pips. Enjoy watching the chicks hatch out. Though, my first two waited til I left the house to hatch. Ungrateful lil punks. ;)
Remove chicks as they start to get dry. Play chick peeping video at top volume on loop until your family is looking up the phone number for the looney bin.

ETA: I live in Georgia, just west of Atlanta. :)

Last edited:
OMG! You are so funny!!! I was freaking out the exact same way... and playing the video of chirping chicks on a loop... I did that too! My husband was so angry because they were hatching during the middle of the night (I of course stayed up all night to watch). He's a firefighter and on his 24 hour shifts he is usually up all night. This was the night before he had to go into work so I (or I should say the video of chirping chicks) was keeping him up all night! The highlight of his night I'm sure was when the first chick actually hatched and I woke him from what little sleep he was getting and then ran and woke the kids up... His response "Are you kidding me? It's 2am!".... Which by the way was the exact same thing he said to me when my water broke with my 3rd child! LOL!

I am still learning too!
But I will tell you what worked for me:

Styrofoam Hova-bator old model still air.
Converted to a circulated air with a cheap computer fan.
Automatic egg turner, old with damaged motor so I had to order a new one.
Cheapo digital thermometer/hygrometer ordered off Amazon.com, checked for accuracy.

Procedure:
Run incubator for a couple days til you are reasonably sure it will stay between 99-100 degrees.
Collect a few eggs (I didn't even clean em off, which is supposedly a big no-no, but... I guess it's not THAT big of a deal?) chuck them in the turner.
Add water if humidity drops below 20% or so. So I guess, yes I did use low-humidity method.

Stress out and freak out for 7 days, then check air cells.
Keep adjusting temp as needed, chicks put off some heat starting around day 8-10, so if the temp rises a smidge, it's not the end of the world, it's actually a good sign. Freak out anyways.
Candle at day ten if you want to see movement (Unless your eggs have green shells, then don't bother, you won't see squat).
Check again at day 14 for air cell progress.

Day 18:
Remove turner. Add more water. Freak out because humidity won't go over 60%. Add sponges in little containers of water. Note that when you moved the eggs to add water they CHIRPED at you, and freak out again. Prepare brooder with food/water/bedding/heat source. Convince yourself you are probably wasting your time because everything is such a mess

Days 19-21: check incubator every 15 minutes for signs of pips. Enjoy watching the chicks hatch out. Though, my first two waited til I left the house to hatch. Ungrateful lil punks. ;)
Remove chicks as they start to get dry. Play chick peeping video at top volume on loop until your family is looking up the phone number for the looney bin.

ETA: I live in Georgia, just west of Atlanta. :)
Great run down!! lol All that stressing and you did just fine!!

Back
Top Bottom