The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the tale of survival is over....:hit

It was a good try though! I have found that chicks that do not pip often do not make it.

My thought was that considering the amount of blood present, the fall possibly ruptured a membrane vein that hadn't yet emptied back into the chick before hatching, so it was in a less-than-optimal condition for its less-than-optimal premature arrival.

I am in agreement that natural selection begets good chicks and that those that aren't with the program probably aren't ideal future stock. If this chick's egg were under a broody hen, she probably would've walked away from it to tend to the very active chicks that hatched in the day or two before.

Do this after dark Go out keep only one to go in first the others outside add the one leave stay to hear if you can but go back half and hour if it is under her give her two more and so on

Thanks! Appreciate the steps. Wasn’t sure how it was going to work. Looks like I’m not going to be able to do this right now after all. I have to go out of town on a business trip and no one will be home during the day to keep an eye on them. I was hopeful to try it last night but Mama Hen still had two viable eggs she was sitting on. One hatched this morning and she’s still sitting tight on the other. So the incubator littles will be getting a bigger brooder box, since they are already outgrowing the temporary box I have them in and I will re evaluate in a couple days. Mama Hen and babies get to stay put in the big brooder my hubby built me 2 years ago. Lol.

:hugs I am so sorry!

I have a backup brooder plate. I have a premier 1 and a brinsea ecoglo.

I did see that Brinsea has re designed their brooder plates and added a medium size
I have the older style EcoGLo, but I contacted Brinsea, and their replacement cord fits both the old and new styles. It should have been here Friday, but ... Hopefully the holiday weekend didn't mess up schedules too badly and it will be here shortly. In the meantime, my three surviving peeps are still exploring the incubator. They have food, a jar lid of water (with marbles) and perfectly regulated heat ... they seem happy & comfortable. Thank heavens they're tiny bantams or they wouldn't fit!

I have the older style EcoGLo, but I contacted Brinsea, and their replacement cord fits both the old and new styles. It should have been here Friday, but ... Hopefully the holiday weekend didn't mess up schedules too badly and it will be here shortly. In the meantime, my three surviving peeps are still exploring the incubator. They have food, a jar lid of water (with marbles) and perfectly regulated heat ... they seem happy & comfortable. Thank heavens they're tiny bantams or they wouldn't fit!
For my old one, I bought one that worked from Amazon.

This little one is NOT from my Easter HAL batch, but this is one of the 'just in case' Easter-egger chicks I ordered when I learned that only three of my EHAL eggs were developing. I just picked them up today and I had to share because she's just so fluffy!! :love :love

fluffy face.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom