The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad news. I lost one of my young game birds. He was perfectly fine, then nothing.
hit.gif
The hen that was with him is doing fine. No signs of anything being wrong with her. He was such a pretty boy. He was Hatch/Bumblefoot. (the second breed oddly enough does exist, just search for Bumblefoot Grey Gamefowl) Dad cut his leg band off and kept it. I'm keeping a close eye on the hen just to make sure she's fine.

I'm sorry.
sad.png

wee.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Its LOCKDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooohooooooooooooo Im so excited I a can barely contain myself!.........YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY Ok...maybe Im not containing myself. lol. Now is the time when I get crazy involved with the incubator. I can pretty much ignore it the first 18 days....Candle once, then again on day 18 to pull clears. Then I hit today and the next four days are going to turn me plum BONKERS!!!!!!! All these worries....questions...and silliness enters my head.... ie:

Is the humidity up to high?
Is the humidity down too low?
Should I turn on the humidifier? Turn off the humidifier?
Are my temps going to drop when the humidity goes up?
Wonder if that egg is too close to the sponge???
Cheep cheep cheep….*listen*… Cheep cheep cheep….*listen*…
Were the air sacs too big? Too small? Maybe I should take one last look.
No…NO…. NO touchy the bator….
Fine…Nose back to the glass….tap with finger….
Did I hear a cheap or are the outside birds confused and think its spring?

And on and on and on my thoughts go. lol

But its LOCKDOWN!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I was doing the same thing this morning. My family thinks I am crazy for staring at the incubator all the time. lol

They pop off the top, like this:

love.gif
I love this picture!

Look what UPS dropped off just a while ago! My gift from winning in that fun contest that Sally put together..the funny posts..random post drawings..lucky me..tadpole sent me this beautiful cup. I love it! Thank you so much you two!

Nice!

And how wrong I was...... Cream legbar zipping right now!
Two days early. I set this on 3/7/13 at 8:00pm

Congrats!

Last edited:
Look what UPS dropped off just a while ago! My gift from winning in that fun contest that Sally put together..the funny posts..random post drawings..lucky me..tadpole sent me this beautiful cup. I love it! Thank you so much you two!

I got my prize today too! I won a book, "The Complete Chicken: An Entertaining History of Chickens." It's a cute coffee table book. I read the whole thing this afternoon while my daughter took her nap :)

Had my first assist today. She pipped 2 days ago, but didn't manage to flake off the piece of shell. She had expended a lot of energy trying and this morning I flicked off that small piece of shell and cleared the nasty tan membrane away from her airway. When I came home from work, she hadn't really made any progress and the membranes were starting to get rather dry so I flicked off more pieces of shell and found that the membrane veins had receeded completely, but she was so tired. I opened a small hole and she stuck out a wing. I wet the membrane and opened up the hole a little more and out came her head. At that point, I set her down and let her do the rest in the bater (which took only a couple seconds). I picked her up to check navel, etc and was glad I did. She'd been in there so long she was about to have pasty butt and there was a big poo inside the shell. I wiped her clean and put her back in to dry off. She was alone in there so she was cheaping loud enough I could hear her in the other room. Once she was mostly dry, I stuck her in the nice warm brooder where she promptly went to the bottom of the sleeping chick pile and was happy as a clam. She's a loud little ball of fluff, but appears to be doing great. I am very very happy I read the entire assist thread before starting my hatch!

Congrats your chick is doing so well, I am in lock down, will have babies on sat like so many here,
wee.gif
now the agony begins the waiting and watching
pop.gif

Ok... Lockdown about an hour ago. Out of 42 set, 41 were placed in the hatchers. 1 infertile egg removed on day 5. Whew!!! I had a ton to read and still did catch it all. So far, one internal pipper chirpin' and several rockin'.

Thank you for the offer, that is very thoughtful of you! I can't get any right now, just because I don't have anywhere to keep them, but maybe at some point in the future I'll be able to buy some from you? I'd let you know!

Had my first assist today. She pipped 2 days ago, but didn't manage to flake off the piece of shell. She had expended a lot of energy trying and this morning I flicked off that small piece of shell and cleared the nasty tan membrane away from her airway. When I came home from work, she hadn't really made any progress and the membranes were starting to get rather dry so I flicked off more pieces of shell and found that the membrane veins had receeded completely, but she was so tired. I opened a small hole and she stuck out a wing. I wet the membrane and opened up the hole a little more and out came her head. At that point, I set her down and let her do the rest in the bater (which took only a couple seconds). I picked her up to check navel, etc and was glad I did. She'd been in there so long she was about to have pasty butt and there was a big poo inside the shell. I wiped her clean and put her back in to dry off. She was alone in there so she was cheaping loud enough I could hear her in the other room. Once she was mostly dry, I stuck her in the nice warm brooder where she promptly went to the bottom of the sleeping chick pile and was happy as a clam. She's a loud little ball of fluff, but appears to be doing great. I am very very happy I read the entire assist thread before starting my hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom