The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pips here yet.
hu.gif
I candled last night, and no internal pips, but at least some of them still seem to be alive. I did it really quick, so I didn't try to get a count. I have 7 that made it to lockdown.
I am having humidity issues. It was too low, and then went too high, but I think I fixed that quickly enough. I will just have to see how today goes.
smile.png

Six more chicks hatched overnight; I pulled three dry fuzz butts out so the 3 wet chicks can dry off without being stepped on quite so much. That's 8 chicks. Plus NC, the orfink ;) found lost and cheeping on the coop floor 3 days ago. (Dunno why none of the three broodies claimed it... Too focussed on the rest of their eggs, I guess.)

Woo hoo! Make that a ninth flopping around in half a shell just since I started typing!

Well, I lost the other duck. Next time I hatch them it'll just be the ducks, but I have to wait until Ducky starts laying again. She hasn't laid a single egg since I set them. Still only 3 chicks and no pips. I'm going to float test in just a bit to see what still might hatch before I give up on this hatch.

My final count was 17 out of 20, 3 were mispositioned.

So what was the final set count anybody know?

When will the winners of the contests be announced?

so far I have 3 ducks and 3 chicks in the brooder, two chicks that hatched this morning and 1 working on it, plus I know I have at least one more viable egg that still had blood vessels present yesterday when I candled it quickly. SO I hope it is ok I hold off until late tomorrow (college classes start back tomorrow and I don't get home until 10 pm or so....)

My ducks are done, 3 hatched, 1 pipped on the side that was laying on the ground of the incubator and drowned in its fluid (not sure why it pipped that side when I had it laying the correct way
hit.gif
I guess you win some and lose some
hmm.png
) and I candled the last one with no movement or blood vessels so pipped and it had no movement, cracked further and found it quit maybe day 25/26 as it still had a lot of yoke not absorbed. Still holding hope for the rest of my chicken eggs, but regardless I'm glad I have what I have
big_smile.png
. Pictures and final count when this hatch is done.

Congrats to all those with babies, and sorry for those with little to no hatches.

OH and Happy Easter!

Last edited:
OK, I didn't even try for the Easter hatch along. My eggs were due to hatch 2 days ago. But they held out. 2 chicks this morning. And Olive Egger and a Jaerhon. I have two more pips on Jaerhon eggs. About 10 more to go.

I saw the last post, hatching in an egg carton. I was thinking about this. As my eggs are in an egg turner. Thoughts? Does keeping them upright help?
If you had them in a turner, then hatching them upright will help. They should be hatched the way they were set , so if you set them on their side then you should hatch them on their side. Hope this makes sense.

Well, none of my ducklings hatched
sad.png
two died right after they pipped.......But I already have 34 chicks in the brooder and 2 ducklings in there so I guess I didn't need the eggs to hatch lol. HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom