The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my "Turtle" out of his coffee cup this morning for a few drinks and a walk. Then pit him in the brooder to see if he will eat. He is still a bit unstable on his legs, but not falling down near as much. In fact, I had a little difficulty identifying him from the rest after dealing with the incubator chick.

The wellie is doing better. I cleaned the goo stuck to her back & gave her a couple drinks of vitamin water. She is back in the incubator so she can fluff up & also because there is still a reddish bulge on her bottom that I didn't want the others to pick at. The wellie is the chick that pipped the wrong end then became shrink wrapped in the membrane. I helped her out at 5 am.

Well I have set more eggs. The ones in front are my sqh RIR from Robert Leigh , the others are from my brother. :)

BABIES! (They are a few days apart in age... the smallest was just hatched last night, the others on the 26th)

DethHawk (black and white, standing guard), Deemon (dark napping baby) and Murloc (smallest lil' one, also enjoying a nap)

Last edited:
OK I'm done
Official Tally 3 out of 4 under Broody Banty hen hatched.
Doing this again next year? Don't call me, I'll call you LOL

Do we post here or is there a spreadsheet?

I set 237
Pulled 111 clears, I didn't write down another candling. I think about 80-90 went in the hatcher.
And ended up with 61 chicks. I think I need to get some sponges to help increase my humidity.

Last edited:
I don't think my little Cleo is ever going to get better.... Now the ethical dilemma ensues..... I cannot cull her simply because she has special needs.... I won't. My daughter has Down syndrome, and I cannot send a message to my girls that we get rid of living things simply because they aren't like the others.... If she was in pain, there'd be a different story here.... She's healthy and growing and active and super sweet. I think my only choice is to keep her and make adjustments for her as necessary. I only have two hens in my backyard now, and there are virtually no predators, so shed be safe and spoiled and loved. My husband is going to throw a FIT when I tell him about this, because he has set the limit for me at two, but I just don't see another option for me. I can't give her to someone else who will just cull her or not give her any special attention.... Maybe I'm too soft, but I wouldn't have changed anything about my daughter... I'm blessed to have her, and surely I was given this sweet chickie for a reason.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom