The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! Yeah! That's the Wheaten Ameracauna. It's a cutie. :) I'm wondering if I need to do anything for the one leg...?
Who does dog-piles these days, anyhow~!?
If it is still doing it, you can do the half-band-aid orthopedics thing.. Someone here gave me the link...

I had two from my classroom hatch that had it. I caught it the first day and put the band aids on. PERFECT now...

How young can you give chick 'chick' grit? Yogurt? One of my silkies and one of my RIR had poop stuck to there butt last night, I noticed and soaked with a warm wet paper towel and cleaned off. None of them look like they are having this problem now, or yet anyway..
If you only give starter and yogurt there is no need for grit. Starter is made up of ground grains, vitamins and minerals, then pelletized, then crumbled. No need for grit. Yogurt doesn't need to be ground. Yogurt should be plain whole fat type.
pasty butt can be from a chill or too hot.

By the way, grit has nothing to do with pasty vent.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, the grit helps to get the digestion going. It is a cure for pasty butt. Your are correct that it is not needed for digesting the starter or the yogurt--it just gets things going and after the pasty butt is gone you can stop giving it to them--unless you give them some grains.

Just do it!

Last edited:
Quote: I have ground up oyster shell will that work? it's very small almost like a powder I ground up myself. I bought it at TSC and then ground it up smaller.

No, Oyster shell is bad for their kidneys. You can grind up chicken grit if you have some of that for the big girls.

The Grit and the yogurt get their digestion system working--Pasty butt is a digestion problem like thrush.
Ok, Thank You, I will get some tomorrow, and wash there little behinds tonight. It's just starting so hopefully I can keep on top of it and knock it out before it becomes a problem.

finally got my breda chicks (from the hatchery that sent me the wrong chicks a few weeks ago) I ordered 3 black and 3 blue but unless they are really similar as babies i am pretty sure they sent me 1 blue and 6 black... oh well, they are still cute.

that one brown chick in the background is not one of the bredas- he is just in the brooder with them.
Those 2 on the right might be dark blues. Neither of them look black in the legs.
a couple of my chicks are starting to get sticky butt. I added a teaspoon of ACV to their water today. What else should I do?
Clean their butts and keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't get plugged up. Also, make sure they are not getting chilled, as it can cause pasty butt too.
My Cutest Easter Chick Contest entries, for those that don't take a look at the thread. These were taken today.

I didn't really have what I wanted to work with, but tried my best to make it 'Easter' related.

3buff & 1 white silkie..

Adorable.
Quote:
Here they are! 4 Barnyard Mix (California White x BR, GSL, RIR), 2 French Black Copper Maran, 1 Olive Egger (FBCM x WA), 1 Wheaten Ameracauna... in that order :)

This will NOT correct itself. You need to bandaid the legs in their proper position. If you don't correct it soon, it won't be able to be fixed and you'll end up putting the chick down. I had a couple of chicks with 1 leg out like that and I hobbled them for 3 days and now you cannot tell which ones needed the hobbles.

See here:
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

My first chick hatched today! and a picture of my pile of ducks!

still waiting on 5 more ducks to hatch, and 7 chicks!
Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom