The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three chicks from the hatch...

(EE hen X Cochin Roo, Dad is the Cochin in my profile pic.)

(Copper Maran)

(Lavendar Copper Maran)

P.S. is there a contest for the best/worst scar while incubating?!
sad.png
I burned my hand when the incubator lid slipped & fell on my hand. They should make some sort of handle or something for these things don't you think?! Geez..........

I had to take my other half to urgent care last night. He decided to "work" on one of the old coops last night that we inherited with the property to start making some space for the new kids. Stepped on a rusty nail that went through his foot. Tetinus shot time last night! I won't post photo's. ;-)

Well, I'm working on getting all of my ducks in a row for shipping eggs to Canada & UK, so hopefully next time you can join in contests for my eggs. Sorry about your losses. We seem to have had a rough time of it this hatch!!

Isn't this a case by case bases? Its my understanding to import into the U.S the flock has to be isolated for 30 days, vet checked, then eggs can be collected, then the eggs are swabbed and tested. However, I do understand Canadians can take 2 dozen eating eggs across the border per week (nudge,nudge, wink wink).

my chihuahuas would have had dinner they could not resist them

Wow, that is one good Boston! My mom has one and she's a tiny critter killing machine. Seriously, I think that little dog kills more mice and rats than the cat does. Your boy sure is cute though, I do love those squishy faces.

You should see my fiance. He's worse about playing with the birds than my kids are. He's always walking around with quail & chicks in his hands or hoodie pockets or "his" little OEGB roo on his shoulder.
That is so cute and sweet!
WE HAVE A SPLASH COCHIN CHICK AND NOTHING BUT CHIRPING AND A BIG HOLE FROM ONE OTHER!!! GO BLACK BETTY! she IS A mommy! A MOMMY! singing..... whoa, black betty (bam-A-lam) whoa, black betty (bam-A-lam) Black betty had a child (bam-A-lam)
love the song lol

APHIS is announcing the opening of export markets to Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia for U.S. day-old chicks and hatching eggs, increasing U.S. exports by an estimated $25 million a year.
"This is a significant agreement for poultry exporters in the United States," said USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack. "For nearly 10 years, APHIS has pursued the opening of the Russian market to U.S. day-old chicks and hatching eggs, and now we have also secured access for these products to Belarus and Kazakhstan."
In February, APHIS veterinary health personnel and their counterparts in Moscow developed the export documentation that APHIS will issue for products shipped to the three countries. In 2010, Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus formed a Customs Union, and are currently working to harmonize import requirements for cattle and other live animals and livestock products. The market access for poultry commodities represents the first of nearly 40 new agreements related to live animals and animal products that USDA will work to negotiate with the Customs Union.
Dairy Cattle to Iraq
Following direct negotiations with Iraqi animal health officials in February, APHIS officials reached agreement with their counterparts on export certification requirements for U.S. dairy cattle shipments to that country.
"The Middle East is an important and emerging market for U.S. cattle exporters," said Vilsack.
The annual market value is projected to be more than $60 million. APHIS will work with exporters to ensure the exported cattle meet the terms of the agreement with Iraq.

Quote: In Europe, you're allowed to travel around with less than 20 eggs, if I remember correctly, but chickens and more eggs need to be imported properly. Not sure how that was thought out!

Final hatch figures: 59 set, 16 either clear or died at some point in development (3 I think died because the eggs were larger and due to the cooler temps, didn't develop at an adequate rate) and 31 hatched.

9 LF Spangled Russian Orloffs,
9 bantam spangled Russian Orloffs
9 project chicks
3 easter eggers
1 white araucana

So excited! But still no broody hen... hello dust and dry lips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom