The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

How are you feeling today? Third day is usually the worst. Hope you are taking it easy .. third day or not..can't remember when you had this done, but I remember mine was tough ..yrs and yrs. ago. I did do the walking like suggested, down the block and back. Every day until I was healed. Slooooowly down the block and back.

I walk out to check on my chicks in the coop and feed them and whatever i can without doing much lifting. Yea i have to move to avoid blood clots. Glad u reminded me, i've just been doing what needs to be done. Guess i'll get out in the snow and walk around the barn a couple times. lol

I walk out to check on my chicks in the coop and feed them and whatever i can without doing much lifting. Yea i have to move to avoid blood clots. Glad u reminded me, i've just been doing what needs to be done. Guess i'll get out in the snow and walk around the barn a couple times. lol

Don't you fall down!! Be careful.
hugs.gif

So last night I went to lock up the girls for the night. And couldn't find one of my rose comb leghorns. My chickens free range so I started searching could find her. Went back to the coop to do another head count and found her in a nesting box. She always goes on the roost to sleep so I said interesting. I looked her over with a flashlight she seemed fine so I locked up and went inside. This mourning she was still in there and it was 28f last night. So I'm thinking hope she's ok. I let the girls out and go to check on her. Well she is standing a little turning eggs with her beak. Then I got closer she started clucking loudly at me. So I backed off then she jumped out of the nest and took off. I haven't seen her get back on the eggs yet. This was about 30 min ago. So I don't know if I disturbed her and she gave up or what. I've never had a broody hen before so I don't know when I decide to take the eggs in and say she has givin up. And if she has givin up are the eggs good to eat after she was sitting on them all night. Any advice would be great thanks gals and guys.
I've had a leghorn go broody .. only one in all that I've had. And, I would think taking those eggs in would be just fine to eat. They weren't warm long enough to make a difference. Plus, if she is going broody, she will sit on an empty nest, she will be back...if..she is broody!

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long. This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo
barnie.gif
. Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well. Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long.  This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo :barnie .  Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well.  Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

I'm so sorry. I hate losing my birds to a beastie. If you were close to lower Alabama I would offer one of my mature Roos. I'm overrun with boys and need to cull some but if I find homes I will help others.

Welcome! :frow

I love blue eggs!

So adorable! I can't wait for my mix chicks to hatch!

Awesome incubator! I love the quail eggs! :thumbsup

Yeah, the power didn't go out here, but the temperature swings are killer. The poor month old banties are walking around all stiff in the cold and my eggs were too cold yesterday and over-heated today. But I've found eggs and chicks to be really hardy so I can keep hoping!

I'm glad everything worked out for you. :)

Cool mix! I love Brahmas and Marans.

YAY!!! :celebrate

So sorry to hear that, I hope you start feeling better soon. We'll be praying for you. :)

Quail are awesome. I think people should keep them instead of parrots. They are friendly, cheap, and they can't bite your finger off. Lol. :p

She might be thinking about being broody or she might have just been being a protective hen on a nest. When its cold hens like to sit on nests for a night. I did have a broody leghorn, but sometimes they break-up. If she was only on the eggs a day they likely didn't develop very much if at all so you could save them if you want by putting them inside and putting some fake eggs or fresh eggs in the nest to see if she'll return to it, then returning her eggs to her once she's settled. :)

I'm sorry to hear that. Dogs do love to chase small things that run or fly. Our dog is a Aussie Shepherd mix and likes to herd our birds!

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom