The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

56 hatched. Our house took a little over a foot of water . Now are are wading through the red tape and waiting to see if we are going to get to repair it . It's gonna be a long process . We have been out if the house since the 17th. We should be getting a more permeant place to stay tomorrow . We are moving our RV to
a location with full hookups for now. We wanted to hook up at the house but the city is making that rather difficult right now. I fell off our retaining wall when we were trying to get our things out of the house and can't use my arm now. And to add to the mess, they are announcing layoffs soon for my husbands job. I am exhausted and at a loss right now of even what to do.

Im soo sorry to hear all that , if you need to talk we r here, my hubby just got laid off on monday , its rough but we have faith we will make it through

@mlm Mike
Updates/final count

Incubator set 48
Lockdown 36
A couple clears from MPC some blood rings and early quitters as well as one or two late quitters. I incubated completely dry and ended up with big sticky chicks and jello-like eggs anyway. My conclusion is that maybe I have a cool spot that I don't know about. We had 16 hatch very well and When opening eggs for egg topsies we discovered one pipped chick, and two alive non-pipped(these two were very very vascular and very sticky- they gave up never having absorbed their veins) We were able to save the other six sticky pipped eggs and get them out of their eggs, after waiting for veins and such to absorb, including the one that had internally pipped but never externally. However two of the assists dies after 24 hours. One I believe had inhaled some of the goop and the other was unknown caused but I think had a herniated navel.
All in all we got 22 live chicks out of eggs but lost two so 20

Lovey set 4(we added an egg that was a day behind that we did not count in the totals) it was late and hatched last night under another of our broodies. Lovey's hatch went very very well. She did lose one egg. When we opened it we discovered it too was sticky and already dead. It spent no time in the incubator can anyone explain this? Lovey hatched out three wonderful healthy little chicks
A partridge silkie, a tiny black oegb, and a SLW/EE chick. Lovey was due to hatch 1-2 days before Mary Anne but Lovey was a day late and Mary Anne started a day early because of this Mary Anne hatched first.

Mary Anne set 4
She hatched out all four of her chicks and was an amazing Mommy for the first two days, then she statrted to peck her chicks and Lovey's chicks and even beat up Lovey. (Although DH2B did go out and find one of Mary Anne's chicks stone cold and not breathing outside the nest box the first day. He brought it in and put it in the incubator -still running BC of a couple of little ones needing care- and amazingly it revived. It took some time but she is doing great and 24 hours later went back outside.) She especially was aggressive with Lovey's little EE and with a cuckoo Marans that we bought actually picking up the Marans in her beak and throwing it. And then pecking her own chicks until they ran away crying and hid from her.

Idk what the catalyst was that set her off. These are my first broodies and idk what to make of this. Her aggression started with her own chicks and seemed to be centered around the feeder, I think. Worried about the chicks being injured, we decided to pull her and put Mary Anne back with the main flock. I'm still not sure the chicks are safe but I feel better knowing that Lovey doesn't do that. Mary Anne will be given another chance but if she continues this nonsense she will not be allowed to raise chicks again. I may still let her brood the eggs though.
Mary Anne hatched a white silkie and a silkie I can't decide on color, a SLW/buff orp mix, and what appears to be either a silkie/sebright mix and a silkie/isa brown mix I'm not sure.

They were joined day before yesterday by our feedstore chicks! We got 5 speckled sussex pullets, 5 St run white rocks, 2 cuckoo Marans pullets, 2 brown leghorn pullets, and 1 light Brahma pullet and I can't wait to see how everyone grows up. Sadly the hatchery shorted the feed store and we were not able to get the 2 salmon faverolles pullets that we wanted. We may get those in May with the next shipment.

So totals are 56 set/29 hatched -2 died at day old= 27

We also have two more broodies that don't count as totals but I thought everyone might like to hear about them too. Ginger is hatching today, she started last night. She is right on schedule today is day 21 for her.

Ginger has four eggs under her and already has at least one chick.
Monday our buff orp is due and should hopefully hatch all 8 of her surviving eggs.

I hope you all can help me guess some colors of some silkies I hatched please and thank you.

Also we bought a hatchery white silkie and I swear the little one is feathering in white with partridge spots. Is this possible? Should I notify the hatchery that it isn't white?

Last edited:
Wife just told me that both feed stores up here lost there chicks during shipping. I just sold my last hatch (34) to someone who couldn't get chicks in town. I guess I'm going to set 100 eggs for the April hatch. People calling and saying they heard we have chicks for sale and we're now out. I even sold 5 of my 8 week olds from my previous hatch for $25 each.

I think I'm going to need to build a bigger incubator.

1f602.png
1f602.png
tell me about it. I just got a call asking if I would incubate some duck and chicken eggs for a lady. Flat rate for all live hatched and $10 for power usage.

56 hatched. Our house took a little over a foot of water . Now are are wading through the red tape and waiting to see if we are going to get to repair it . It's gonna be a long process . We have been out if the house since the 17th. We should be getting a more permeant place to stay tomorrow . We are moving our RV to
a location with full hookups for now. We wanted to hook up at the house but the city is making that rather difficult right now. I fell off our retaining wall when we were trying to get our things out of the house and can't use my arm now. And to add to the mess, they are announcing layoffs soon for my husbands job. I am exhausted and at a loss right now of even what to do.

WOW. That is A LOT to deal with. These are times you will look back on and know they made you stronger. At the time it seems like you are not going to make it though. Been there.

Drive that RV on up to Nashville. There is work here. Nowhere to live, but plenty of work.

@mlm Mike
Updates/final count

Incubator set 48
Lockdown 36
A couple clears from MPC some blood rings and early quitters as well as one or two late quitters. I incubated completely dry and ended up with big sticky chicks and jello-like eggs anyway. My conclusion is that maybe I have a cool spot that I don't know about. We had 16 hatch very well and When opening eggs for egg topsies we discovered one pipped chick, and two alive non-pipped(these two were very very vascular and very sticky- they gave up never having absorbed their veins) We were able to save the other six sticky pipped eggs and get them out of their eggs, after waiting for veins and such to absorb, including the one that had internally pipped but never externally. However two of the assists dies after 24 hours. One I believe had inhaled some of the goop and the other was unknown caused but I think had a herniated navel.
All in all we got 22 live chicks out of eggs but lost two so 20

Lovey set 4(we added an egg that was a day behind that we did not count in the totals) it was late and hatched last night under another of our broodies. Lovey's hatch went very very well. She did lose one egg. When we opened it we discovered it too was sticky and already dead. It spent no time in the incubator can anyone explain this? Lovey hatched out three wonderful healthy little chicks
A partridge silkie, a tiny black oegb, and a SLW/EE chick. Lovey was due to hatch 1-2 days before Mary Anne but Lovey was a day late and Mary Anne started a day early because of this Mary Anne hatched first.

Mary Anne set 4
She hatched out all four of her chicks and was an amazing Mommy for the first two days, then she statrted to peck her chicks and Lovey's chicks and even beat up Lovey. (Although DH2B did go out and find one of Mary Anne's chicks stone cold and not breathing outside the nest box the first day. He brought it in and put it in the incubator -still running BC of a couple of little ones needing care- and amazingly it revived. It took some time but she is doing great and 24 hours later went back outside.) She especially was aggressive with Lovey's little EE and with a cuckoo Marans that we bought actually picking up the Marans in her beak and throwing it. And then pecking her own chicks until they ran away crying and hid from her.

Idk what the catalyst was that set her off. These are my first broodies and idk what to make of this. Her aggression started with her own chicks and seemed to be centered around the feeder, I think. Worried about the chicks being injured, we decided to pull her and put Mary Anne back with the main flock. I'm still not sure the chicks are safe but I feel better knowing that Lovey doesn't do that. Mary Anne will be given another chance but if she continues this nonsense she will not be allowed to raise chicks again. I may still let her brood the eggs though.
Mary Anne hatched a white silkie and a silkie I can't decide on color, a SLW/buff orp mix, and what appears to be either a silkie/sebright mix and a silkie/isa brown mix I'm not sure.

They were joined day before yesterday by our feedstore chicks! We got 5 speckled sussex pullets, 5 St run white rocks, 2 cuckoo Marans pullets, 2 brown leghorn pullets, and 1 light Brahma pullet and I can't wait to see how everyone grows up. Sadly the hatchery shorted the feed store and we were not able to get the 2 salmon faverolles pullets that we wanted. We may get those in May with the next shipment.

So totals are 56 set/29 hatched -2 died at day old= 27

We also have two more broodies that don't count as totals but I thought everyone might like to hear about them too. Ginger is hatching today, she started last night. She is right on schedule today is day 21 for her.

Ginger has four eggs under her and already has at least one chick.
Monday our buff orp is due and should hopefully hatch all 8 of her surviving eggs.

I hope you all can help me guess some colors of some silkies I hatched please and thank you.

Also we bought a hatchery white silkie and I swear the little one is feathering in white with partridge spots. Is this possible? Should I notify the hatchery that it isn't white?

Hey all just wanted to quote this and see if anyone had any guesses on the little silkie chicks in the two different pics.

Oh my goodness. Praying that things look up for the .. much much...better..soon!

I have been just miserable all day.

A critter climbed in my shed window (that I forgot to close) and killed my entire brooder of chicks. Not just a few... all 41.i woke up to find 41 dead chicks, or what was left of them. It was just freaking horrible to clean up. The only silver lining is my older new bloodline faverolles were untouched.

fl.gif
Said a prayer for you!!

Back
Top Bottom