The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

The kids are NOT allowed to go in spare room with bator. Specifically told them so.
Hmm, I really don't remember placing anything on it? ...

For anyone having a hard time tallying up their newly hatched chicks:

I'm a rule player. So....according to the Rules of Chicken Math I have 0 chickens. I need to get busy!!!!
**Chicken math - explained!**
"Official Rules for Counting Chickens."

Are sure you are counting your birds correctly? There are specific rules that apply:
1. You do not count any eggs in the incubator because you don't count your chickens before they hatch.
2. You don’t count chickens that were given as a gift because they were a present and are more properly considered a gift rather than a chicken.
3. You do not count any bird under 18 weeks old because they are too young to lay eggs so they are considered juveniles rather than chickens.
4. You don't count bantams because bantams are considered bantams rather than chickens.
5. You don't count ornamental birds because they are ornamental and are considered yard art, folk art, or fine art rather than chickens.
6. You don’t count birds beyond laying age because they’re retired and don’t lay eggs and are considered retirees rather than chickens.
7. You don’t count birds in molt because they’re are in molt and missing feathers so cannot be properly considered as complete chickens.
8. You don’t count males because males are for the production of meat and count as a food source rather than chickens.
9. You don’t count males even if they’re not destined for meat productions because they are protectors of the flock and are more accurately considered guard dogs rather than chickens.
10. You don’t count laying hens because they produce eggs and thus are more accurately described as a food source rather than chickens.
11. You don’t count sick or injured birds because they are sick or injured and their disposition is in question so they go on the injured or sick list not on your list of chickens.
12. You don’t count birds that are for sale or possibly for sale because they belong or will belong to someone else.

Thus, if you follow the rules (and it is always good to follow the rules) you may only count healthy full size female chickens that are not in molt and not a gift and are of laying age but not laying.

Happy counting!

P.S. it doesn't count if they are adopted either.

Have some bantam cochin eggs going into lock down tomorrow. Was marking them tonight and got a cute silhouette. I will have some pretty silkies and little cochins out there this summer. Ravyn's babies are getting so pretty. A lot of dark blue, and splash going on. :)
Here is the photo from tonight. Head and beak.

Is that cute or what? I've been seeing legs and toes too. And, you can actually tell that there is feathering going with those legs! These eggs were out for 7 days! Finally got them..the gal kept in touch with me while they were out. Very very good to communicate, and still is. She had gathered the eggs the very day that she shipped. So, fertile eggs, and great packing..I have 8 out of 12 going into lock down. There are some pretty scary air sacs..but, they are alive for now. This lock down is going to make me real nervous.

HI Lindsey, if you've had the temperature and humidity on target, there's a good chance that your chicks will hatch just fine. You could have done far worse, so don't beat yourself up. Be positive and enjoy your hatch.
yippiechickie.gif

The temp and humidity has been great, so I'm hoping they'll be OK. Wiggling eggs is a good sign, so I'll just keep an eye on them and keep you guys updated. Thanks for the encouragement!

Originally Posted by Wickedchicken6

Wriggling is a good sign! I've done a couple of hatches with no turning (except candling) and no turning older eggs and still got chicks. I think you have a decent chance of getting chicks.
thumbsup.gif

Not turning or not turning enough can cause some embryos to die at day 7-10. Those that make it past that point will hatch but they may be sticky because of not absorbing the yolk as well as normal.

Watch for stuck chicks and you might need to wash a couple of them.

Post pictures when they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom