The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I went to the magpies pen today, and saw an egg in the coop. Got excited as I have been afraid I wouldn't have magpies ducklings, since she hasn't been laying. Turns out there were three deep in the hay. All fertile. I am wondering, from one mating how many fertile eggs will their be, for how long? Because My ancona boy mated with her when they were out, maybe two weeks ago. And I wonder if the fertility in the eggs was from my magpie drake or the ancona...

I went to the magpies pen today, and saw an egg in the coop. Got excited as I have been afraid I wouldn't have magpies ducklings, since she hasn't been laying. Turns out there were three deep in the hay. All fertile. I am wondering, from one mating how many fertile eggs will their be, for how long? Because My ancona boy mated with her when they were out, maybe two weeks ago. And I wonder if the fertility in the eggs was from my magpie drake or the ancona...

I'm pretty sure that the eggs will be fertile for upto 2 weeks after being mated.

This will be our first year hatching eggs out but we are hopeful to hatch out some Welsh Harlequin Ducklings and possibly some Japanese Quail also! Wish us luck! We hope you all have good luck too!

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Hello there and welcome to the thread :D

Wishing you lots of luck with your eggs!

Oh yes, totally forgot about the avian flu.... That's a bummer.

Will find pics in a bit. It's made out of a 2x4, a 1gal rubber pan, and a 6x18 ish piece of thin board.
Welshies!! Good luck!

Yes it's getting ridiculous with the flu :(

i would love to be a part of this this year! Please add me in. I have quietly followed this event the last couple of years and will definitely be setting eggs March 25. I hope to be hatching BLR Wyandotte eggs from a local breeder.

Hi and welcome :D

I like this part of the year... Hatching ducklings...(Which I will be doing twice  this year, hatching on April 4, and, May 15. Is it good to hatch in the summer though? Will people buy them? 
Oh yeah, I might be hatching some of our quail eggs too.

I always find chicks sell better in the summer.
What type of quail?

I'll be joining :weee

I've got my new Brinsea 40 advance to test out and I'll have my breeding pens set up by then, so I should be setting some more Welsh Harlequins, and other duck breeds aswell!

:frow

I'm still jealous of your 40! :oops:

I've already started hatching Easter Egger chicks! I will definitely participate! I had already planned on an Easter hatch so this works out great! :)

Last edited:
I'll be joining
wee.gif

I've got my new Brinsea 40 advance to test out and I'll have my breeding pens set up by then, so I should be setting some more Welsh Harlequins, and other duck breeds aswell!
You should do very well hatching in the Birnsea!

Hmmm... So what should I do? I'm not storing eggs for 3 more weeks, so will I be good?
Long term storage of eggs(over two weeks) do better stored in the fridge, small end up. Store for two weeks at room temperature big end up and tilted in cartons. Turn the eggs 2 or 3 times a day. After two weeks, put them into egg cartons small end up. Take them out of the fridge a day before setting and store them big end up again, turning a couple of times as the eggs come back up to room temp.

Keep us posted!

I'm going to use a homemade incubator again hopefully some will hatch this time. I'll see if my Guinea are laying if they are I'll put as many as possible!I was wondering if a Brody would work to?

Back
Top Bottom