The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I want Bantam Salmon Faverolles!!!! My big girls are my favorite. Are they your own eggs?

I had a bantam faverolle..have shared her photo a few times. She was a pretty gal, and a good mama. Used her photos for a welcome post ..or two...

Sweet birds!

Take your best guess.:D The Arboretum is beautiful. My son is considering Davis for college, so we'll be scheduling a visit soon. Darkness usually means you have a chick in there. Is it a really small egg? Barnevelder eggs are very round, sometimes I have to candle them to find the side with the air sac.
Yes, it is a really small egg.

I knew UC Davis was paired with Kansas, but I didn't watch the game. Usually the #1-to-#16 pairings in the first round are very one-sided, so I skip them. However, I like to follow the Cinderella teams and enjoyed seeing Xavier make a good run.

As for my visit to UC Davis, I remember it seemed like everyone there was on a 10-speed. I had never seen so many bicycles on a college campus in my life. lol That was a long time ago though, so things may have changed.
Bicycles are still very popular here!

I have to be very careful crossing streets today since it is the first day of Spring Quarter and there are a lot of students here. On Campus, Bicycles have the right of way and they do not stop for you in crosswalks.

Bicycles are still very popular here!

I have to be very careful crossing streets today since it is the first day of Spring Quarter and there are a lot of students here. On Campus, Bicycles have the right of way and they do not stop for you in crosswalks.

I thought at the time of my visit that the idea of everyone using bicycles on campus instead of scooters or cars was great. It looks like they have kept that great tradition alive. ;-)

The round, or bigger end, has the air cell. Air cell goes up. I often get oval eggs that look the same on both ends. Just have to candle them.
Take your best guess.:D The Arboretum is beautiful. My son is considering Davis for college, so we'll be scheduling a visit soon. Darkness usually means you have a chick in there. Is it a really small egg? Barnevelder eggs are very round, sometimes I have to candle them to find the side with the air sac.
Thanks for the info :)
[COLOR=333333]I'd like to join the hatch a long thread but not be counted in the numbers b/c mine have already hatched.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Our Little Cookie is happily clucking away with her BIG family. My final count:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]6 lav orps[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]4 choc cuckoo orps[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]5 black orps (2 are from Oopsie, so who knows what genes are in there. One of Oopsie's may actually be a blue, but I can't tell while it's under Cookie.)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]1 sexlink hybrid female or a pure black orp (Egg looked like it came from my Dominique, but chick looks like a purebred, so I marked it with red leg band to examine later)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]2 sexlink EE females (green leg bands)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]3 penciled rocks from shipped eggs[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Don't know how she does it, but Cookie has 21 LF (mostly giant English Orpington ) chicks under her! She's a bantam orpington..... but what a spread! :eek: [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Often I'm not seeing any chicks under the back up Mama Heating Pad. They're all squeezing under Cookie. It reminds me of the Nutcracker's Lady with the big skirt. The chicks are under, on top of, or running around her.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Thankfully chickens can't count! She went broody about a week before the hatch date. Two eggs got put under her on day 18. (A roo trampled one.) Cookie hatched the remaining egg, but WHAT AN EGG! I kept slipping more chicks under her as they hatched, so she must think she's Superhen by hatching 21 chicks from a single egg in less than a week! [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333](Note: Cookie will only adopt chicks that she thinks are hers. She must feel an egg hatch under her in order to switch into mommy mode.)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]We also hatched 15 quail. Those have a heat lamp.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Here are a few chick pics that were taken just before giving them to Cookie. Lav orps [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] choc cuckoo orps black orps (& a hybrid orp on right) penciled rocks and this little one who had lots to say
Adorable chicks!

All 7 of my eggs are developing for my first easter Hatch along!
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom