The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Update on Turkey hatch. 4 out of the 5 eggs hatched. the last one wasn't fertile or stopped early on. This hen started laying 21 days after I sold the tom. She laid 7 eggs two of which I had for breakfast to see if they were fertile. She laid until the 28 day.
She hatched 3 on one day and 1 two days later.
I had to rescue them from her they would have died with her. Will post pictures later.
She is a white hen that had both sweetgrass parents and brother and sisters. Born with 1 eye. Raised by turkey hen, she only turned to the left most her life. She beat the odds.
Pols in with chicks doing fine

I didn't hear anything.
hu.gif

Awwwwww, you only had ONE moment of weakness?

Fantastic picture!

I move mine the day after hatch. Even if some of the eggs haven't hatched, my broodies have stayed put once some have hatched.
Thanks. That's around the time I was thinking but it gives me an extra 1/2 day of time.
Grandma is nervous. Grandma usually is better prepared but this wave of broodiness of All First Time pullets kind of caught me off guard!

My Easter hatch are all TINY little D'Uccles and Sebrights. They are currently 1/2 the size of the bantam EE's that hatched two weeks before.

Last weekend I moved the 3/27 hatch outside with a heat plate. I kept them inside the coop for a few days and let them out for the first time on Wednesday. EVERY single one had to be caught and moved back up into the coop the first night. The SECOND night, they were all inside, tucked in, all by themselves. That is the FASTED any chicks have learned that.

I'm thinking about moving the bantam EE's out to that same coop this weekend. They hatched 3/31. They have taken over my bathroom. Not a single one stays in the brooder. I had to cover the smaller D'uccle/Sebrights brooder. Since the bigger chicks would jump in and knock over the feed dishes and water. I don't have a cover big enough for the bigger brooder, so outside they go!

Our daytime temps have been in the 80's and 90's. Night time high 50's. I've been taking the heat plate out during the day, and putting it back in when the temps go down.

Good luck to all the chicken moves!!!!

Back
Top Bottom