The African and Chinese goose thread!!

My almost 1 year old African goose has been laying eggs for a couple months but they're not fertile. Is she supposed to lay one every day? She doesn't sit on them,I thought because they're not fertile?? She can be broody,but only to the male,never me.

Geese have a very short laying season. I set every goose egg I get in the incubator!
Is the gander breeding her, and old enough? My chinese produced fertile eggs at 8 months old, but the ganders are pretty active. African are a lesser laying ratio goose breed, so she may not give you many more eggs this season. Some goose breeds only lay around 45 eggs a year! Some hens won't sit until they are more mature also, 2 years old or more.

I have two African females and they are laying eggs in the same nest I was wondering if they would end up laying a clutch for each bird or they would each lay half a clutch and are they going to incubate together?

I have two African females and they are laying eggs in the same nest I was wondering if they would end up laying a clutch for each bird or they would each lay half a clutch and are they going to incubate together?

Many of my hens will, and do brood together. Its kinda funny too! if I give them more bedding and check the girls weights while brooding, you see them stealing each other eggs! My 2 oldest Chinese girls always set up nesting together.

Many of my hens will, and do brood together. Its kinda funny too! if I give them more bedding and check the girls weights while brooding, you see them stealing each other eggs! My 2 oldest Chinese girls always set up nesting together.

Haha, my peacocks stole each others eggs when one went down to eat. Will they geese peck each other from being protective and did your chicks hatch?

Quote: The hens get along well, and were a fantastic mothering team! Had -0- issues with them sharing the babies, and was precious to see how the flock looked over them. Mother geese are ferocious when they have goslings but my hens all seem to help each other with mothering. I have good hatch rates either incubating or letting my girls brood, but I usually have extra ganders too.
I did have issues with my big embden girl smashing eggs, so I took hers and incubated all of them.

Back
Top Bottom