The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Haha.. well, i got over my tantrum. For now. They are still on thin ice. I actually made an ad, posted it and then pulled it 3 hours later because I felt guilty. What I didn't mention in the ad is the noise, the poop, the duck murders or that they are the prime suspects in a chicken murder. Look at those faces, they're obviously guilty.
Screenshot_20200503-153913_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I just got african geese! We have 2, and im guessing them at about a week and a half. Geese are 100% new to me. I have chickens and a cockatoo (as well as wild mallards who hang out here). I know very little about them and have so many questions. I know, research research research.

Over the last week they have doubled in size and withing a couple days they started following me around. I love them! I am hoping we have a male and female, but i am not sure. Any ideas? I read that males have lighter beaks, are bigger, two honks vs one when older, have fatter necks and dont hold them in as much of a swan pose. But that hasnt helped much. Lol.

We got them from a reputable feed store, they had two yellow goslings and the rest were yellow and blue. The yellow was smaller when we got them, but not anymore, its also more standoffish and vocal. The other one likes its water time a whole bunch, likes to groom/preen me, and is way cuddly.

Food wise they get a mash, grass, timothy hay, bird seed, and cracked corn. We have been modifying our pool (it never has worked and has been unused space) into their pond. Its a fenced in area that will be their house... I am doing soooo much workout there! Even moved a TON of dirt and got grass started out there for them. For now, they are living inside with several outside trips a day to their kiddie pool and grazing land.

I could use all the advice and knowledge you all have!! ( i didnt know we had a geese forum and made another post elsewhere, and i am so excited that we have one!) My zoo is my life, and i am always seeking to be a better pet parent!!! Photos below

Attachments

• 20200429_131011.jpg
    20200429_131011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20200429_125133.jpg
    20200429_125133.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200427_082337.jpg
    20200427_082337.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200425_091941.jpg
    20200425_091941.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 6
Had to share this... we have a white ball in the yard that i'd just been kicking around, somehow it ended up next to Lucy and Elly's pool. They were in the pool when Lucy noticed the ball. I thought she was trying to eat the grass around the ball but she kept messing with it, so i put it in the pool. Lucy immediately started pushing it around the pool and playing with it! Elly was scared of it and jumped out. A few minutes later Elly was fine with it and she started playing with it also. So much fun to watch them!

another pic of Lucy trying to grab my glasses!

Lucy just seems to pose more, here she is sitting on my boot.

You can see where she has a mohawk of fuzzy down, new feathers are almost filled in.
These little sweeties brighten my days!
What kind are these? they look exactly like my geese i have now.

Back
Top Bottom