The Aloha Chicken Project

No.  I still need some really outstanding boys.  

So far I have a tall lanky boy who could use more weight and height, and a big beefy boy who is colored like a Cinnamon Sussex but with yellow legs.

There is a promising teen boy who is probably half Buff Sussex.  Not a lot of Mottling, but he does have some visible white - not just a stray white spot on the tail like a "carrier".  Size is fantastic.  Legs are white / pink like a Sussex.  His size is awesome and all his babies (when crossed to mottled hens) will have visible mottling to some degree.  However, I do not know if he carries the yellow leg gene.

I may have to try and breed specifically for a new rooster.  I am kind of thinking of taking my "best" new teen girls shown here - and maybe crossing them with the Buff Sussex rooster?  Or the Cinnamon Sussex cross rooster?  The Buff Sussex boy that I have, he carries Mottling but doesn't really "show" much of it.  Just a tinge of white on the tail and wings.  So his kids may not show it either.  I would have to pen these two awesome girls with him, hatch the babies, and keep them separate - and keep track of the boys, knowing they carry that awesome color and yellow legs from the Moms, though they probably would not show it?  

If I crossed the girls with the boy who looks like a Cinnamon Sussex, I don't know if his color would "carry" or if his kids would FINALLY lose that white color and be Mottled or Buff?  A test breeding would be mega helpful!  It's a rotten, rotten time of year to hatch babies, but I might have to do it regardless.  A nice rooster out of that awesome teen hen would be great - I really want to spread her genes through the entire flock, she's so lovely!

Yellow legs, that is going to be some my problems to overcome also. A lot of my Naked Necks have dark legs some with a bluish tint to them.
Another thing is that I have babies that hatch with yellow legs but as hey grow they start looking whiteish. When I breed again. Ghe new babies (some if them) hatch yellow legged then the same circle again. Does this mean that they are still yellow legged? I don't feed a lot if corn, been told this helps the yellow stay yellow.

Quote:
That would be great... good luck!

Speaking of... From the first batch of shipped eggs, I have 5 eggs left with actual chick movement in them. Lockdown is tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Today is Day 11 for the second batch of shipped Aloha eggs and I have 16 developing. Now if I can just hang onto them.
thumbsup.gif

Speaking of... From the first batch of shipped eggs, I have 5 eggs left with actual chick movement in them. Lockdown is tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Today is Day 11 for the second batch of shipped Aloha eggs and I have 16 developing. Now if I can just hang onto them. :thumbsup

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks, draye!

I bought a real candler after that last fiasco with my own infertile eggs and what a difference that thing makes. I can clearly see the veins and moving feet, so cool. Wish I had purchased one before.

Speaking of... From the first batch of shipped eggs, I have 5 eggs left with actual chick movement in them. Lockdown is tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Today is Day 11 for the second batch of shipped Aloha eggs and I have 16 developing. Now if I can just hang onto them.
thumbsup.gif
I really hope you get a few to hatch! I'm so glad we went ahead with two batches.

Update here on my Aloha/Calico Naked Neck.

There are 10 chicks left from my Easter Hatch. Looking like I have only 4 pullets, 2 Aloha and 2 Naked Necks. The 6 cockerels looking like there are 3 Aloha (all very colorful with olenty of white) and 3 Naked Neck (1 red with maybe a few white tips, 1 buffish/red with some white, and last colorful with plenty of white).
I also have from the same hatch twofer pullets. One is the NN x Golden Comet and the other is this one:

Same pullet two shots. I've decided it is definitely mottling. Now if she just keeps the mottling, going to add her and the other pullet to the program provided they survive to laying age.

So here's my plans if all works put. Going to keep at least two of the NN roosters to put over the Aloha and Aloha NN. I'll keep 1 Aloha rooster to put with the other two pullets and if I can locate a few more mottled/ spangled hens with them also.

This with the new rooster that I just got last weekend I have him with a red Columbian hen, a Columbian hen ( this should create sexlink babies), and the Mottked Partridge hen.

I'm keeping other runs together to see what pops up out of them. Looks like there maybe more mottling coming out in them.

I found this in my latest hatch 2 weeks old:

Looks like some mottling maybe popping out in this one. Of course it may turn out to be barring, her daddy was my Orange Barred rooster( no longer have that one).

Quote:
Boy, I am too. I'm just holding my breath.

Update here on my Aloha/Calico Naked Neck.

There are 10 chicks left from my Easter Hatch. Looking like I have only 4 pullets, 2 Aloha and 2 Naked Necks. The 6 cockerels looking like there are 3 Aloha (all very colorful with olenty of white) and 3 Naked Neck (1 red with maybe a few white tips, 1 buffish/red with some white, and last colorful with plenty of white).
I also have from the same hatch twofer pullets. One is the NN x Golden Comet and the other is this one:

Same pullet two shots. I've decided it is definitely mottling. Now if she just keeps the mottling, going to add her and the other pullet to the program provided they survive to laying age.

So here's my plans if all works put. Going to keep at least two of the NN roosters to put over the Aloha and Aloha NN. I'll keep 1 Aloha rooster to put with the other two pullets and if I can locate a few more mottled/ spangled hens with them also.

This with the new rooster that I just got last weekend I have him with a red Columbian hen, a Columbian hen ( this should create sexlink babies), and the Mottked Partridge hen.

I'm keeping other runs together to see what pops up out of them. Looks like there maybe more mottling coming out in them.

I found this in my latest hatch 2 weeks old:

Looks like some mottling maybe popping out in this one. Of course it may turn out to be barring, her daddy was my Orange Barred rooster( no longer have that one).

Love the pics... those babies are great! The orange/white mottled looks like a bunch of mine too.

I just wanted to share photos of my upcoming flock! FINALLY - feeling like I have some of my "end goal" Alohas! Of course they are going to need some fine tuning, building up type and such, but these are still close enough to be what I would call "Alohas": Younger Aloha NN hen, only about 3-4 months. Of course half her kids will be "normal" feathered and look at those yellow legs and spots!!! Younger hen, about 3-4 months. Above and below: Younger Mille hen, about 4 months. Kind of smallish but still has time to grow. The ABOVE hens are from a group of 24 baby hens that I'm growing out! These are just the oldest. There are many more, but they are still too young to evaluate. Next the older baby girls - these gals are actually laying, I think? Or very very close. They will probably continue to fill out a little, but are basically grown: Above: This gal is most like the Aloha end goal, with her light coloring and bright yellow legs! Above: This hen is also the Aloha end goal, but has the darker, almost Sussex browns. However, she is clearly "not-sussex" with the yellow legs and tons of white. Above: This hen has gorgeous color and tons of white! She is tall, but is a little lanky in build. I think when crossed back to Sussex lines, her babies could be awesome, though. I don't normally hatch in the summer, but I may make an exception and try, just to attempt to get some of these newbie girl's chicks. It's so scary this time of year, as we could lose any of them because of the upcoming heat!
Sommer I just wanted to say that your birds are looking great, I always love looking at your pictures and checking on your progress. I personally am not a fan of the NN breed but can definitely say I've never seen any look like that. All these girls are beautiful.

Sommer I just wanted to say that your birds are looking great, I always love looking at your pictures and checking on your progress. I personally am not a fan of the NN breed but can definitely say I've never seen any look like that. All these girls are beautiful.
Thanks so much! I'm so glad to be making some progress.

OMG - just hope I make it through the summer OK. Had my first losses yesterday, it was our first "serious" heat. 105 range, I think, and supposed to go up to 110+ by next week. So scary!!!

alohachickens, I am sorry to hear about the heat wave you're having. We're having one rainy day after the next here and when the sun does come out it is ridiculously humid.

My eggs were supposed to hatch today but not so much as a pip. I'm going to leave them alone for a couple days and see if anything happens. I still have hope that I will get at least one?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom