The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Remember that Auracauanas have ear tufts, not beards. Also, they can have up to 8 tufts, and not even have them evenly set on each side of the head. That, and the fatal allele are why I opted away from them. The Amie was bred to avoid those traits and still give a tinted egg with a more robust bird.

I am currently breeding a White Amie (blue egger) with a pure white Polish Tophat Roo. I am hoping for a white chicken with a beadr and hiipy hair that lays a blue/green egg. As the Polish Hen lays a white egg, I am "assuming" that it might even lighten the blue egg to a paler blue egg. I am really just hoping to get a pullet or 2 and a Roo ith hippy hair, and beards. haha I love this idea and have waited almost a year for them all to get mature enough to breed. I have 4 eggs, at the moment, and am waiting a few more days before I set the 'bator, just to get 2-3 more in their. Chicken math....gotta love it!

Remember that Auracauanas have ear tufts, not beards. Also, they can have up to 8 tufts, and not even have them evenly set on each side of the head. That, and the fatal allele are why I opted away from them. The Amie was bred to avoid those traits and still give a tinted egg with a more robust bird.

I am currently breeding a White Amie (blue egger) with a pure white Polish Tophat Roo. I am hoping for a white chicken with a beadr and hiipy hair that lays a blue/green egg. As the Polish Hen lays a white egg, I am "assuming" that it might even lighten the blue egg to a paler blue egg. I am really just hoping to get a pullet or 2 and a Roo ith hippy hair, and beards. haha I love this idea and have waited almost a year for them all to get mature enough to breed. I have 4 eggs, at the moment, and am waiting a few more days before I set the 'bator, just to get 2-3 more in their. Chicken math....gotta love it!

I had no idea that Araucanas could have up to 8 tufts! I think its really funny when they only have them on one side of their head. I had the chance to get some black breasted reds from the University of Arkansas and decided against it for that same reason. I didn't want to add that fatal allele into my flock just to get blue eggs. For me Ameraucanas and/or EE's seemed like a better choice.

I love projects! It's how all breeds were created in the first place right? I have two pullets from a purebred Ameraucana blue hen crossed with a buff silkie rooster. The pullets are absolutely beautiful. One is a gorgeous blue with a blue beard and slate legs. They only way you could tell it wasn't an Ameraucana is that it has 5 toes! The other one has blue as the main color as well with some buff leakage. Everything about that one says pullet except for the color leakage. It might be a little loud to be a pullet, but no comb color or development yet. This one has blue leg feathers and five toes, and a blue beard. I will be really interested to see what color eggs they are going to lay. I will have to get some pictures of them when I go out to do the evening chores. Good luck with your project.

Adorable chicks! I am now a follower =)
Ah thanks! And thank you for joining the thread. I posted a link to this thread on the other Ameraucana thread and some people weren't too excited about it. I hope we get more people to join. I think it would be fun to have an open minded thread to discuss everything Ameraucana!

All this talk of mixes crosses has me waiting form my chicks to grow up so I can try some things. I think this is a great is a great idea for a thread. (if it works) Sorry I have a sour taste in my mouth from another Ameraucana thread. I was given 3 roos after Christmas and told 2 were Ameraucana I bought 4 pulets that were "Ameraucana" I also discovered that 2 of my pulets were cockrels. A girl had just lost her rooster who lives in my state and I was going to give her one of the cockrels if she if wanted it. Oh law they really ripped me a new one for that. They let me have it for calling my "mutts" Ameraucana. One commented on a pic I posted. "Just what kind of bird do you think this is?" I bit my tounge on that. Some one was nice and explained the diference to me and then kindly suggested I go to the EE thread. The pullets arent laying yet and I would really like a blue egg. So I guess I will try to get a pure Amie for that. I feel like I need to post a footer on all my pics not matter what the breed to explain I have yard birds for pets not show birds or some one is going to get snarky.

All this talk of mixes crosses has me waiting form my chicks to grow up so I can try some things. I think this is a great is a great idea for a thread. (if it works) Sorry I have a sour taste in my mouth from another Ameraucana thread. I was given 3 roos after Christmas and told 2 were Ameraucana I bought 4 pulets that were "Ameraucana" I also discovered that 2 of my pulets were cockrels. A girl had just lost her rooster who lives in my state and I was going to give her one of the cockrels if she if wanted it. Oh law they really ripped me a new one for that. They let me have it for calling my "mutts" Ameraucana. One commented on a pic I posted. "Just what kind of bird do you think this is?" I bit my tounge on that. Some one was nice and explained the diference to me and then kindly suggested I go to the EE thread. The pullets arent laying yet and I would really like a blue egg. So I guess I will try to get a pure Amie for that. I feel like I need to post a footer on all my pics not matter what the breed to explain I have yard birds for pets not show birds or some one is going to get snarky.
I am so glad you have joined us! I hope it works too! I was very tired of the negativity on the other thread, especially all the EE police, as someone put it earlier. It seemed to be a very divided thread that was very unnaccepting of people who had opinions that differ from theirs. I know a lot of people who posted pictures of EE's were sometimes rudely informed that they weren't Ameraucanas. When in fact genetically I am sure some of them were. So please feel free to post pictures and discuss anything you want about your birds and future projects.
big_smile.png

Well, as I stated above, most of my "yard pets" are identical to the various color pictures for SoP Ameracaunas, but I call them Amies/EE's, because I "aint uppity". Your birds are probably as pretty as mine, K Epp, and you probably like them as much as I like mine. We both enjoy our birds and want to share info and brag a lil about our hard-working pets. Mine feed me eggs, most every day. That's a good pet! Welcome to Outrun Acres new thread, and I hope that you enjoy your "EE's", as much as we do.

Outrun Acres, why don't you post that link of the SoP pics for Amies, to your sig, as well. Many haven't seen it, and may not even know that their birds match the SoP, perfectly, as well. People don't have to accept uppity if they don't want! hahaha! ;)

I don't really care that mine "look right", but it does give me room to say that my birds are good birds...even the mutts! hahaha The mutts come from SoP birds, too! hahaha! Sooo...they are SoP descendants! hahaha!

I subscribed.Since I am a oldtimer maybe I can help.
Thank you so much for joining! I personally am fairly new to chickens. I have really tried to educate myself during the last year on the different breeds we wanted to add to our flock this spring. I was very interested in purchasing Ameraucanas and had a very hard time getting someone to kindly answer my questions. A few people did try, but mostly I was chastised for asking the questions in the first place. I decided try some EE's and Ameraucana crosses first. (Mostly because they were readily available). Does anyone know if one of the APA approved colors is easier to breed than another. Is their a good color to start with if you are interested in breeding these birds. Since it is a new breed I find a lot of the color projects interesting as well. It seems like a lot of people are working on lavenders. I have seen people selling Lavenders on their Ameraucana websites. But I was under the impression that because Lavender is not an APA approved color those birds technically aren't considered Ameraucanas? Does anyone know if this is true?

Back
Top Bottom