The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Hi new thread : )
My birds that do not meet ASOP for Ameraucana and carry the 'blue egg gene' are quite simply 'Green-Eggers'. It doesn't matter a whit to me what anyone else calls their birds as long as one doesn't try to call them something they are not.
I breed / raise / keep Ameraucana in black, blue, splash and some project birds bred **toward** Ameraucana standard, as per ASOP .
I have many many birds that carry the 'blue egg gene' that are bred toward a *different* goal, but nothing here that is an Easter Egger.
An Easter Egger, to me, is a bird from hatchery-stock that may lay any-colored-egg, is not a 'breed' and has no 'standard'.

I'm also working on a blue Sebright, I have 2 blue Hens with Sebright blood in them and an order in for Silver 'Brights. Colors are what it's all about...There's no Blue 'Bright in the SoP, either, nor a Buff, but I see Buffs for sale, at Ideal Hatcheries and from the man where I got my 3 new 'Brights this past Saturday. I understand you Breed a Golden Roo with a Silver Hen. I have THAT combination, now. Soooo....here come the Buffs.

I always love to see the colors people come up with, and the EE's are so wonderful for doing that. I can't see how anyone would balk at someone attempting a new and beautiful color combo. My Olive Eggers are beautiful Golden Amie appearing, with blue rear halves. They are some of my most beautiful chickens, and they're Hens. I also drove 110 miles, each way, just to buy them. Roos are usually considered the best-looking, but...EE's have good-looking Hens.

Don't let ANYone talk you out of a project that you want to try. You may have the next "craze trend" bird, in your pics.

The kids in my sons 2nd grade class has given one of my hens a new name...

Meet Strawberry the Dr Suess Chicken....

My son took some of her eggs to school yesterday for Dr Suess's birthday celebration.

Hi new thread : )
My birds that do not meet ASOP for Ameraucana and carry the 'blue egg gene' are quite simply 'Green-Eggers'. It doesn't matter a whit to me what anyone else calls their birds as long as one doesn't try to call them something they are not.
I breed / raise / keep Ameraucana in black, blue, splash and some project birds bred **toward** Ameraucana standard, as per ASOP .
I have many many birds that carry the 'blue egg gene' that are bred toward a *different* goal, but nothing here that is an Easter Egger.
An Easter Egger, to me, is a bird from hatchery-stock that may lay any-colored-egg, is not a 'breed' and has no 'standard'.

Thank you for joining. What color of project birds are you breeding toward the Ameraucana standard? I think a lot of us on this thread may be able to agree a bit better on the classification of breed. I would just like to treat the Ameraucana like any other breed of standard chicken. Some of my personal opinions may not align themselves perfectly the the SOP for Ameraucanas, but they were formed predominantly based on genetic principles. And I am very open to discussing them in a friendly manner. I am fairly new to chickens and the breed, but I would really like to learn more from the old-timers on this site. I am a little confused by the the way your post is worded but I think we are on the same page :).

A member on another thread I subscribe to posted these thoughts. I thought they made some very good points.

I guess I joined before I joined
wink.png

I am currently breeding a White Amie (blue egger) with a pure white Polish Tophat Roo. I am hoping for a white chicken with a beard and hippy hair that lays a blue/green egg. As the Polish Hen lays a white egg, I am "assuming" that it might even lighten the blue egg to a paler blue egg.
If you are successful, you'll have to come up with a name for your new breed
smile.png

Since it is a new breed I find a lot of the color projects interesting as well. It seems like a lot of people are working on lavenders. I have seen people selling Lavenders on their Ameraucana websites. But I was under the impression that because Lavender is not an APA approved color those birds technically aren't considered Ameraucanas? Does anyone know if this is true?

Aye, now there's the rub with the "purists"! You have to use only "pure" Ameraucana which means they must be one of the accepted colors but then you try to make a NEW color. And then you want it to be called an Ameraucana so you have to get the SOP changed. If you want to keep the breed "pure" why are you screwing with the colors? A catch-22 if you ask me.

I'm not sure I would be that specific.

TO ME: No hatchery NEEDS to be involved. Cross a pure bred Ameraucana with a pure bred chicken of another breed and you get an E.E. I have no idea how many generations the traits generally ascribed to Ameraucana will continue if the resulting chicks are bred to WHATEVER but never again to an Ameraucana.
If you know your chicken breed genetics (and I do NOT) I think you could breed an E.E. meeting what seems to be a "sort of accepted" description consisting of some combination (must be at least 2??) of the following:
- lays blue or green
- has a beard
- has a muff
- has slate or green legs
(please add any I have missed
wink.png
)

- can be any color or pattern

So, IF someone wanted to "create" an Easter Egger chicken with repeatability in the "accepted" traits AND could convince whoever in the APA that decides how and when new breeds are accepted, there could be a purebred Easter Egger breed. Until that time (or never) all the "non-standard", mutt, whatever that people now call Easter Eggers will just be lovely birds that don't have to stress if they don't meet some SOP.

Bruce

I'm also working on a blue Sebright, I have 2 blue Hens with Sebright blood in them and an order in for Silver 'Brights. Colors are what it's all about...There's no Blue 'Bright in the SoP, either, nor a Buff, but I see Buffs for sale, at Ideal Hatcheries and from the man where I got my 3 new 'Brights this past Saturday. I understand you Breed a Golden Roo with a Silver Hen. I have THAT combination, now. Soooo....here come the Buffs.

I always love to see the colors people come up with, and the EE's are so wonderful for doing that. I can't see how anyone would balk at someone attempting a new and beautiful color combo. My Olive Eggers are beautiful Golden Amie appearing, with blue rear halves. They are some of my most beautiful chickens, and they're Hens. I also drove 110 miles, each way, just to buy them. Roos are usually considered the best-looking, but...EE's have good-looking Hens.

Don't let ANYone talk you out of a project that you want to try. You may have the next "craze trend" bird, in your pics.
It seems to take a long time to get a color accepted into a breeds SOP. I am excited to "dive" into some projects in the future. I think I would like to start with a standard color first to better my understanding of the genetics of the breed before I attempt to make any breeding decisions. My "eye" is not keen enough yet in the chicken world. My background is in dogs and horses. I have so much to learn and can't get enough of this breed! (Ameraucanas). All of the traits it possesses intrigues me.

Back
Top Bottom