The American Bresse...

Never raised them. I just breed my birds for meat amount, & quality. I just take whoever has the most meaty breasts, & breed them together. But also feed a high protein diet, which also helps maintain their muscles.

I've found that certain birds, just never really get meaty, & stay thin. Those I cull anyways, to remove them from the gene pool.

I'm not sure they feed them fresh milk. They might be giving them kefir.
They actually use grains soaked in skim milk

"
From age 5 weeks to the beginning of the finishing process, French Bresse chicks are allowed to forage all day for bugs and greens in grassy pastures. Required are 108 square feet (10 square meters) per bird. The typical flock of a maximum of 500 birds forages in 5,000 square meters of grass (53,819 square feet, or 1.24 acres).

Their diet is supplemented with a lower-protein, locally grown whole grain mash (corn and wheat) soaked in skim milk. See photos below. The lower protein intake encourages foraging. Foraging contributes to both muscle mass and flavor, hence, to the unique qualities of poulet de Bresse" https://www.ambresse.com/french-bresse-finishing.html

I raised about a dozen lower quality bresse this spring that I bought off Craigslist. They all free ranged and lived with my layers and were fed all flock, so they weren’t finished in the traditional French way.

I happened to have also bought some black copper marans bred to the SOP during the same time. I butchered the FBCM roosters with my bresse and only noticed some slight differences in meat quality. Both were exceptionally more flavorful than any hatchery meat bird, and the only thing that stood out with the bresse was the thin skin. It crisps up really nicely both in the smoker and in the oven.

Overall I really enjoy having the bresse as a dual purpose bird, between the great meat quality and the fact that the pullets have been great layers so far.

I raised about a dozen lower quality bresse this spring that I bought off Craigslist. They all free ranged and lived with my layers and were fed all flock, so they weren’t finished in the traditional French way.

I happened to have also bought some black copper marans bred to the SOP during the same time. I butchered the FBCM roosters with my bresse and only noticed some slight differences in meat quality. Both were exceptionally more flavorful than any hatchery meat bird, and the only thing that stood out with the bresse was the thin skin. It crisps up really nicely both in the smoker and in the oven.

Overall I really enjoy having the bresse as a dual purpose bird, between the great meat quality and the fact that the pullets have been great layers so far.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you recall the age and approximate size of the Bresse once processed?
I love the heritage birds, but I wait so long for them to get any size to them and then they're really only good for stewing.

I have 15 Bresse coming of age this November. I’ll be culling the ones with disqualifications like splash, sprigs, light legs, poor personality.
I’ve raised them on 18% grower and free range. I’ll start the milk and corn soon. I’ll put them in a 8 ft coop - not a box.
Of what age would that be? Please let us know how things go.

Do you mean to start the milk and corn for the cull chickens and keep the others as breeders and continue to feed them the grower and free range method? Or are you culling the disqualified chickens and doing the milk/corn with the others?

Of what age would that be? Please let us know how things go.

Do you mean to start the milk and corn for the cull chickens and keep the others as breeders and continue to feed them the grower and free range method? Or are you culling the disqualified chickens and doing the milk/corn with the others?
I meant coming of age to separate them into layers, breeders, and freezer camp. I’m going to switch them over to corn and milk and not let the meat birds free range anymore.

Back
Top Bottom