The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
Only use a Number2 pencil to write on the eggs otherwise you can kill the fertile egg. This is how I tell hens from roosters before I incubate them. Most of the time hen eggs are round and fatter where rooster eggs are long and thinner. Example my last test on this I hatched out 14 hens no roosters. I did not put long thinner looking eggs in that are roosters. DO NOT let the incubator temp Flux lot or you will end up with a lot of roosters. I did that test the flux in temp also and ended up with all roosters but 1 hen.
I worked at the largest state game farm that raised all kinds of birds even falcons. I still have my falcon permit.
That's my advice

No sense of giving advice here. I am sure you hatched out over a couple MILLION Birds as I did working for that state. Good Luck

No sense of giving advice here. I am sure you hatched out over a couple MILLION Birds as I did working for that state. Good Luck
Just my experience in hatching. There may be something to the egg shape though, I've had others tell me that they get more pullets with the rounder shaped eggs. When I get a chance I going to give that a try.

Last edited:
To all you people that just talk here it is a study in UK, Know it alls here is the link.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_the_incubation_temperature_determine_which_sex_a_hens_egg_will_produce

Answer:

Yes and No. The incubation temperature does effect the gender ratio of the hatch in so much as the males will have a better chance of survival when the temperature in the incubator goes beyond the ideal 100.5 F. As for the temperature actually making a difference in the gender, NO the gender is determined within hours of laying and is determined by the mothers initial allocation of embryonic hormones although more studies are currently being done to verify this.

The answer is YES! Actually that second paragraph is not entirely correct. According to the Independent, a news source in the UK, a drop in temperature can cause more male chicks to be born. See Related Links.

Actually the writer of the above paragraph has it back to front, what the article in the Independent says is that a drop in temperature over a specific number of days will cause a small percentage of chicks which would have been male to display female characteristics, including egg laying. The chicks produced from these (genetically male) hens however would all be male
PLEASE IF YOU DON"T KNOW DON"T GIVE YOUR BAD ADVICE GO RESEACH IT. You know nothing

The thing about advice is that whether given solicited or not or of one's own free will, there's no mandate it be taken, it be true or valid or it be wanted or not. Folks should be able to speak freely without feeling that if they are incorrect there is a penalty to be put upon them by anyone. This is an internet forum where one's expertise is what they say it is and I personally keep myself skeptical in general of most who claim some greatness in any realm. There are all sorts of wives tales in many areas of husbandry. I'm hoping we can keep it civil in this thread and remember we are here to share and learn and dispense information and the like - some of us like myself know very little but without sharing and being corrected how will I know what I do and may more importantly don't know.

I have heard about the high temps allowing more viability for male chicks as opposed to females. I lowered my temps last year to accommodate this but honestly don't think it really matters. I have 4 boys for children ages 27, 26, 24 and 5 and no girls..... so I'm not the easiest to convince that it has nothing to do with pure chance and roll of the dice.
lol.png

I like open discussion and friendly open debate.
I personally never feel the need to get angry either. The truth always come out. Always.

Also,
Wisdom is always found in a multitude of counsellors.

So, There is much wisdom here.

Thanks chickeneingo for caring enough about my education to press that enlightening information. It will come in handy when trying to plan and make pairs in the future.

Us new guys, value your advice.

On a side note,
I just learned about "blood rings" and I think I have 3-4 at home in the incubator.

All I can say about THAT is "crap".

I'll post photos soon as I get home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom