The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
Gender is decided before the egg is even laid or set into an incubator.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the eggs or the temperature (in chickens at least.)

Also, that link is wikianswers... NOT a credible source.
Anybody can answer it and anybody can go into that program and edit it to say what they want.

Chickenwingo: If your method was true, the poultry industry wouldn't spend millions upon millions of dollars figuring out ways of only hatching females, or wasting/spending more money to dispose of all male chicks that hatch.

Another hole in your idea is that some hens naturally lay rounded and some lay pointy eggs throughout their entire life. Your theory would then suggest that those hens would ALWAYS produce male chicks, and some would always produce female chicks. Which, in fact, is untrue.

USDA researchers in Marlyand (a credible source) PROVED that the shape of an egg has nothing to do with the gender of the bird that hatches from it.

Here are 4 "blood ring" eggs I am sure of.
. Crap!

The six I marked with a "?" Turned out to not be fertilized.

Here is one I think is a "blood ring" but I'm not sure. I'm in day 9. There is no movement like in the others.
What do you guys think? Chunk it or keep it?

And then there were only 7......out of 18..... Bummer.

Yes I marked them with a #2 pencil. :)

Last edited:
Here are 4 "blood ring" eggs I am sure of.
. Crap!

The six I marked with a "?" Turned out to not be fertilized.

Here is one I think is a "blood ring" but I'm not sure. I'm in day 9. There is no movement like in the others.
What do you guys think? Chunk it or keep it?

And then there were only 7......out of 18..... Bummer.

Yes I marked them with a #2 pencil.
smile.png
toss the blood rings and keep the ? egg a little longer. For day 9 - it can be hard to tell sometimes. I don't candle my eggs until day 10-11 (not throwing any out unless infertile/bloodring) and candle again on day 18-19 before lockdown.

Well now I fully understand the saying
"Don't count you chicken before they hatch"

Did you notice the rubber gloves????
See... I'm learning.

Last edited:
To all you people that just talk here it is a study in UK, Know it alls here is the link.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_the_incubation_temperature_determine_which_sex_a_hens_egg_will_produce

Answer:

Yes and No. The incubation temperature does effect the gender ratio of the hatch in so much as the males will have a better chance of survival when the temperature in the incubator goes beyond the ideal 100.5 F. As for the temperature actually making a difference in the gender, NO the gender is determined within hours of laying and is determined by the mothers initial allocation of embryonic hormones although more studies are currently being done to verify this.

The answer is YES! Actually that second paragraph is not entirely correct. According to the Independent, a news source in the UK, a drop in temperature can cause more male chicks to be born. See Related Links.

Actually the writer of the above paragraph has it back to front, what the article in the Independent says is that a drop in temperature over a specific number of days will cause a small percentage of chicks which would have been male to display female characteristics, including egg laying. The chicks produced from these (genetically male) hens however would all be male

PLEASE IF YOU DON"T KNOW DON"T GIVE YOUR BAD ADVICE GO RESEACH IT.  You know nothing

That's just what the world needs.....genetically male hens.....

ROTFLMASO

Well now I fully understand the saying
"Don't count you chicken before they hatch"

Did you notice the rubber gloves????
See... I'm learning.
You've also got to realize that not all of the hatches depend upon your incubator/incubation techniques.

A LOT of it has to do with the chickens who laid the eggs. A healthy egg needs to be laid by healthy chickens. The eggs need to be clean, have a thick egg shell, not too porous, not be too old, housed properly until incubation, and free from genetic abnormalities.

You've also got to realize that not all of the hatches depend upon your incubator/incubation techniques.

A LOT of it has to do with the chickens who laid the eggs. A healthy egg needs to be laid by healthy chickens. The eggs need to be clean, have a thick egg shell, not too porous, not be too old, housed properly until incubation, and free from genetic abnormalities.
You left out that it also needs to stay away from the USPS. I think whenever they see one of those "Handle with Care" stickers they drop it on the ground. The best shipped eggs I ever had hatch were ones that the sender forgot to mark the outside of the box.

Back
Top Bottom