The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
He is just a young man he is ok. He is very serious about winning trophy and ribbons and roseset very serious the most serious person I know. I like him cause he is in 4-H he is the most excited person about winning.and determined to win. He is all about the apa book and carries it like the bible. I support him in a big way and admire his intent to win. Us its about having a good time if we win or do well then thank the heavens above we don't get upset unless we win by the judge and then jealous people change the book and yes that has be done against my kid. That's a big wrong thing to do against kids and I have seen this happen first hand Its about being true and honest that is what 4-H is about and helping other people win or lose. Example I helped a kid out gave him alot of tips and he got grand champion that day, over us. It was a very good feeling knowing I helped a good kid to succeed and win with his chicken and to see his smile and excitement that's what its about not mocking other people or saying I am better then you.

Last edited:
I think its 100 people have to show the breed and its excepted in the apa book. I am not sure 100% but that's what I heard. I have researched shows that they have been entered in as non-breed and won overall some top awards at apa shows in other countries entered in as singles not pairs. I am sure soon in time as everything else is.

Its called Plumage When You feed them a higher percentage food they get better plumage. Like turkey starter25% protein and bird game food purina for pheasents chickens etc is 30% Shein is something different and its the bird it self not from food, sorry,,,, they should have green and purple you will see more green in the front breast and more purple with a green tint on there back and saddle, hackle feathers otherwise they look black , black toes and black skin and the chick feathers should be grayish black if not soild black, no white chick marabou. They are one of the most iridescent birds to look at, in the sun light you will be in all and stare at the bird going OMG wow this is wild looking like you never seen in any chicken anywere. The colors are beautiful beyound your mind limits.

I wont argue with you, however will speak from experience in saying the sheen does change on individual birds with conditioning. I have yet to see any purple on my birds, pure or otherwise. I see more purple on my Sumatras than anything.

Sheen does change on birds according to conditioning... If you don't believe me feed your birds some BOSS and fish meal. Makes the feathers stronger and have more of a sheen.

I wont argue with you, however will speak from experience in saying the sheen does change on individual birds with conditioning. I have yet to see any purple on my birds, pure or otherwise. I see more purple on my Sumatras than anything.
Do you have ayam cemanis? If so, you have cemani's and you are not seeing purple on them cemanis well chicken soup them birds.

There is a video that explains it all its very simple about crossed ayam cemani and pure ayam cemani.

Last edited:
IF it is true Cemanis are supposed to have a purple sheen - then they are way different in regards to standards as other varieties I've raised. I've always heard the term "Green is to be seen - blue (and purple) is to boo."

Here is the Dutch Standard for Ayam Cemani for those of you interested. Looks like all it mentions is green sheen
roll.png
:

Indonesia
Classification: Rare
Egg Colour: White or tinted
The Cemani fowl originates from the Indonesian archipelago. In 1998, the first examples came to the Netherlands, and in 2008 to Britain. There is some variety in type, but most look rather gamey, and all have single combs. The main characteristic of the breed is the intense black feather colour in combination with black skin colour, including face, earlobe and comb. Black skinned fowl are valued in many Asian countries for eating in ceremonial traditions.

General Characteristics: male
Type and Carriage: General appearance alert and quite gamey.
Body: medium sized, slim, firm and muscular, wings held strongly to body. Alert bearing
Breast: fairly broad, full and firm.
Back: back medium length, sloping from the neck; saddle hackle rather short.
Wings: long, large and strong, held slightly high at the shoulders. held tight to the body, and not resting on the back. Shoulders – wide and firm.
Tail: held a little high; moderate spread with narrow, medium length sickles. Rump - moderately developed. Parson’s Nose small, and firm, little fluff.
Head: of medium size. Face – black and smooth. wattles medium, small black earlobes, eyes large and full of expression, dark brown to black with black pupils. Comb – single, usually with five points, black. Back of comb not following down the line of the neck. Beak – firm, well curved, black.
Neck: long and firm; the neck hackle reaching to the shoulders.
Legs and Feet: Thighs medium, powerful, set well apart, good bend of hock. Straight parallel medium length shanks - black. Four toes long, strong and well spread, with prop toe standing well back and firm on the ground – black. Well-developed spurs in mature male birds
Plumage: Feathers quite short and close-fitting
Handling: Firm and muscular.
Female
The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for natural sexual differences. The back line of the hen can be less angled, the face is often a more intensive black.
Colour
Plumage – Black. Green sheen is not so obvious as in some black breeds. Skin, face, comb and legs – Black.
Weights
Male 1.8–2kg (approx 4–4½lbs)
Female 1.2-1.5kg (approx 2¾-3½lbs)
Ring Sizes: Cock 18mm (E18) Hen 16mm (D16)
Scale of Points
Feather Colour 20
Skin Colour 30
Type 15
Legs and feet 10
Head 10
Condition 15
Serious defects
Carriage too horizontal. Tail carriage too high or too low. Wings hanging down. Legs too short. Too little black pigment in the skin colour.

I feed my birds Blue Seal feed and have had no issues with it and have seen my birds flourish, in addition to supporting a local industry. I have TM eggs in the bator that I'm hoping I'll have a good hatch on. Then once my second pair arrives I'll start to assess what direction I need to go in. I'd like to acquire a GFF bird at some point, male or female but preferably male I think, but I know each line has its own issues but I'd like to have the 3 of them. I've even thought about selling off most of my Legbar stock to assist in the cost of acquiring the birds. With the amount of current flaws and general quality of the stock we have here in the US I think it will take a bit more than the quality of sheen for me to cull a bird at this point as I think I'll have other issues that are more important to me starting off. I am new to the whole chicken breeding endeavor but I have really enjoyed working with the Marans and then my Cream Legbars since their import in 2011 and have learnt a lot through my struggles and successes. I have to admit I enjoy sharing and learning about this hobby but am not a strict follower of any and all advice given on these forums as a lot of it seems to be contradictory and there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts on the world wide web. I think everyone should breed their flocks with their own goals in mind. I would like to follow a general sense of type so having this version of an SOP to follow is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom