The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics

I have a nice all cream Legbar flock of my own that I've been breeding since GFF first got them. I was on the wait list and got my initial pairs in October 2011 and Feb 2012 and yes, I do now have some Rees Legbars. 13 total came in the mail 2 days ago. I won a couple auctions.

I am only raising 2 breeds - I'd love to do 3 - Cemani, Marans and Legbars but I promised the husband I would not go overboard with the roosters. We live on 13 acres with no neighbors in sight but we have this one older gentleman neighbor who is a bit of the town curmudgeon so ..... but still hoping to worm the Marans back in but I did sell off my breeder boys. Plus I have to admit I was spending way too much time on birds than I wanted or ever planned to.

I think I'll be happier just waiting for a GFF Cemani boy. One will turn up sooner or later. I think this is one area where quality will count and pay off in the long and short run.

Last edited:
Apparently Cemani Roos are in short supply this year. I have just the opposite problem. I have a pen full of Cemani Roos and few pullets. I may end up processing the boys on Monday as I don't have room for any more bachelor coops.

What did yo do with him? His face looks pretty pink ( for a cemani) from the pictures.
I really don't now, but I might just give it to friend that lives here in CA, he has rare Hmong Chickens too, might even be as rare as the Cemani?. Since these are land race chickens from Laos(SE Asia) and no one else has any around, beside other Hmong folks here and there or the only way you can obtain some is if you knew some Hmongs that can point you in the right direction to get some birds.

They are descendants of the rare Chinese Sichuan Mountain silkie chicken, which contrary to the silkie part of their name are not silkie type birds at all, look kinda similar to a Cemani, but heavier and they are dual purpose birds. https://www.google.com/search?q=四川山...sKwoQS574DoDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=960&bih=462

As for the face color, I don't know. This is a male bird from Mike, that has the Smithsonian line of cemani and he doesn't breed for a pure black bird standard. So this is how it came to me.

I've already posted my pair of Rare Hmong chicken in this thread earlier, if you like to see how they look just go page 29. They are more mature now and the female is now starting to lay. My goal was to breed the Cemani male from Mike to the Hmong hen. The Hmong Chicken has dark meat/skin(just lighter tone), dark organs, a dark mouth minus the dark tongue. So the hope of breeding the two together, is to give the new hybrids a double dose of fibro gene and make some really dark skin/meat colored birds.

I can PM you the new more mature pics of the pair, if you like to see it? I don't want to post pics of non cemani birds here, since this is the cemani thread
wink.png

Mike's pair - the male is just too off the mark for me. I may keep him depending on what the Toni-Marie birds turn out to be but he is definite cull.

This is the female. Better phenotypically but not black through out but I will try to breed her

My Toni Marie chicks

I think I may have a pair or 2 males or 2 females
lol.png
.... hoping a pair.
fl.gif

..... would be nice to end up with 2 pullets .... this may have to go on the backburner for a bit.

Those are the Szechuan mountain silkie chicken I linked the Google image of eariler. They seems to very from having red, reddish, mulberry and even all black comb/wattles. They seem to have the black mouth/tongue as well. That are what my pair of Hmong chicken are descendants of. I don't think anybody in the US have any of these line/breeds?

Those are the Szechuan mountain silkie chicken I linked the Google image of eariler. They seems to very from having red, reddish, mulberry and even all black comb/wattles. They seem to have the black mouth/tongue as well. That are what my pair of Hmong chicken are descendants of. I don't think anybody in the US have any of these line/breeds?
Yes it was one of the videos from the link you provided. it seemed the amount of red combs was a very small % compaired to what we have here. Plus the number of bird they produce was huge!!

Back
Top Bottom