The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
They are just in my egg turner right now. I use this egg turner out of the incubators so when I collect my eggs its keeps them fresh, its a extra one I bought just for that. This coming Monday I am going to start to load my one incubator up, I will continue to load it up all next week and my goal is 20 cemani eggs and a couple sava eggs also. That way the are big enough for winter. Thank you for asking
I got 4 incubators Two hova 1588 and 1590 and a r-con pro and a tractor supply one that was given to me I use just to dry the chicks of and let them cause mayhem in. lol
I am going to use my Kedus as broody hens the next time I set. I have had chicks in brooders since January. Chicks in brooders (even commercial ones like the GQF brooders) are a lot of work. I need a break. It's time to put those Kedu to work.

Is it too late for me to join in on the Cemani discussions on this thread? I just received my Ayam Cemani group yesterday from Michael Bean. I know they are not perfect, but it is a starting point. I also have some eggs set in the incubator right now, that I am hoping will have black tongues as mine from him are all tan except one which is grey.

It's never too late to join in on the discussion
smile.png
Several of us have his line too. Yes his aren't perfect, I don't think any of us that got his line have any bird that are all black everything like TM or GFF or other breeders that imported theirs?. It's going to take lots of breeding and culling to get birds that are all black everything. Some of us just don't have the budget that others on here has, but nothing is wrong with that. Start with what you can afford and work on them, eventually you'll get some very nice cemani in the years to come.

I my self could only afford one of his cockerel at the time of my purchase. So, I will cross breed mine to a black FM Hmong pullet(which is easier to get a hold of and more affordable for me) and work on the cross breed and see what I get in the future. The Hmong chickens does have a better shape and stance that I like, thus choosing to cross breed them. Others don't agree with cross breeding of pure breeds, but it's for my own use, so why not
smile.png

I actually think it is ok to cross Cemani for your own use and enjoyment. The problem is that people are selling the crosses as "Pure Cemani potential" or even worse, they are calling them Kedu. Ayam Kedu are the clear skin version of the Ayam Cemani. Basically they are a different color preferred by the Dutch when they were in Indonesia. They are not crosses. The part that irritated me is that people selling the crosses copied directly from an email message I said to them and did so incorrectly. Basically if you breed hundreds of Kedu, you many randomly hatch a Cemani. This is how Ayam Cemani were created. Over years of hatching local indigenous breeds, a random mutation of all black appeared. They took that to mean that you could cross Cemani and produce Cemani from the crosses. If you don't have the FM genes, you can't cull to create it. Their "Pure Cemani potential" had 100% pink feet and white toenails. They looked more like black australorps than Cemani. They will never be Cemani.

So I don't have a problem if people want to create their own mixes. Just please do the Cemani breed a favor and leave out any mention of "Cemani" in the name. The poor breed has enough scammers trying to take advantage of people that don't do their own research before bidding on eBay.

I know how you feel about about crossing them. I'm not planning on it, but have often pondered a cemani serama mix. As for the next several years it will be only pure cemani breeding for me.

I actually think it is ok to cross Cemani for your own use and enjoyment. The problem is that people are selling the crosses as "Pure Cemani potential" or even worse, they are calling them Kedu. Ayam Kedu are the clear skin version of the Ayam Cemani. Basically they are a different color preferred by the Dutch when they were in Indonesia. They are not crosses. The part that irritated me is that people selling the crosses copied directly from an email message I said to them and did so incorrectly. Basically if you breed hundreds of Kedu, you many randomly hatch a Cemani. This is how Ayam Cemani were created. Over years of hatching local indigenous breeds, a random mutation of all black appeared. They took that to mean that you could cross Cemani and produce Cemani from the crosses. If you don't have the FM genes, you can't cull to create it. Their "Pure Cemani potential" had 100% pink feet and white toenails. They looked more like black australorps than Cemani. They will never be Cemani.

So I don't have a problem if people want to create their own mixes. Just please do the Cemani breed a favor and leave out any mention of "Cemani" in the name. The poor breed has enough scammers trying to take advantage of people that don't do their own research before bidding on eBay.

I know what you mean. Too many people out there trying to make some quick bucks while the cemani is still a hot topic and highly prized. They sell culls or cross breeds and name it "Cemani", to make it appears to be more valuable than it actually is. Just like buying a counterfeited item instead of the real deal. Once cross bred and sold back to the public, should be disclose at the time of sale/ad, so the buyer can commit to buying the cross breed or pass it along and save/waittill they can afford the real deal.

I've read "The Blackest One" thread on here, so I know some about how the Cemani came about.

eBay...............I've learned my lesson. Anything sold online without the buyer/s actually seeing the items first, anything could be in the receiving package/s.

I saw GFF site the other day and the cemani price per a pair has dropped to 2k and not 2.5 k anymore. But that is still out of my budget price atm.

I will have a very small handful of eggs for sale down the road this year and they will be solid black some should have black blood also with no culls when hatched 300.00 per egg and up. Pairs will be 5,000 and up
Ayam Cemani do not have black blood. It's just a rumor that no one has been able to prove in their own bird. The only thing special about the blood is that sometimes the red color is a darker red. Where did you get your stock?

Last edited:
Chinckenwingo, how does your friend know his GFF pair have black blood? Did he take a sample?

No line is perfect yet and will take hard culling to improve. You cannot claim "no culls" regardless of source.

Back
Top Bottom