The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
So there was some discussion about the Smithsonian line (the line I call the "Smithies"). To clarify what is known:

1. The first import of Ayam Cemani into the U.S. was Toni-Marie Astin.
2 TM Astin gave a few away to select friends and breeders, one of which was a breeder in Virginia that had a pair.
3. The breeder's Cemani rooster died. So he decided to mate a lavender leghorn rooster with his remaining TM Astin Cemani pullet.
4. Those half breed chicks were traded to Mike in New York for some ducks.
5. No one heard anything about what happened to those chicks until one day there was a posting for $150 Cemani.
6. The Smithsonian Institute never imported Ayam Cemani for the Indonesia Festival.

Ayam Cemani do not have white earlobes. The white earlobes come from leghorn. The rooster I purchased from Mike clearly resembles a bird that is a composite of two breeds. There is very little resemblance to the TM Astin line. Even the hen has red wattles as you would expect to find in a leghorn cross.

I do find some value in using the birds I purchased from Mike as a cheap black meat bird. So it does not matter if they are not really Ayam Cemani. They will never be perfect because of the leghorn in them but they should be good layers and larger than the pure TM Astin Cemani. So they can be made into a black skin meat bird.

So if anyone wants Free eggs from the Smithsonian line, just send me a PM. I have also started a second thread about the Smithies. Just search for Smithies.

Where does everybody live? Do you plan on heating your coops for these birds?
Heating your coop is a bad idea. It is harmful for chickens (or any birds) to go from heat to cold. If you let them adapt naturally in the fall, they will do just fine in the winter. I had mine out playing in the snow during subzero temps last year. They did fine except for a few breeds got frostbite.

Ventilation is the key. Frostbite is cause by moisture and drafts. You can partially protect them by using vaseline on their combs. But just put more vents in your coop and keep the shavings dry. That may mean either putting more litter down or cleaning every few days.

But they should do fine. My family raised leghorns (which have very large combs) for generations in the mountains of Wyoming. And that was before electricity was common. So skip the heat in the coop. Not only is it a fire risk, but what are you going to do if the power goes out in a storm in the middle of the night?

We built the chicken condo this past weekend for my babies and venting the barn area on a thermostat to keep them warm enough when needed

we are screwing in 1/2" hardware cloth onto the posts that surround this pen, and reinforcing the roof to prevent critters coming in. There are already 2 rooster Bachelor's quarters up top, nesting boxes added on the left "duck" side, and 2 more rooster/broody breaker/brooder cages will be put in under each new nesting box area. To give the ladies a break when needed, to house bullies, break or allow broodies to do their thing and flock integration. IDK what I'm really doing with this chicken condo idea thing I'm trying out with the ac, and white bresse until spring, when I will likely phase out my mixed laying flock of ee, ameracuna, polish, leghorn and my semi-quieted rooster Lenny a salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma, along with the 2 slw and br pullets I have from my dp meatie chickens project I did this fall to learn caponizing, processing/raising baby chicks. I just started having chickens in June. :)

My 1st batch of ac, with 2 haffies (ac x orpington) & a slw pullet that I had healed ip. She had badly curled feet and couldn't walk when she was 5 weeks old, but is fine now.

I handle them all daily, the males seem much more friendly and seek out my attention, cooing, wanting petted and cuddled. The girls seem more curious, but don't seem to enjoy being held etc.

I have mine in 23% protein chick starter non medicated and 18% protein all flock pellets, I give my latest batch of chicks the chick starter fermented and the 1st round the all flock fermented too. I need to process all but 3-4 muscovy ducks and the rest of my roosters except the capons this weekend so I can move my ac, wb and haffies into the new chicken condo. I don’t think I will end up keeping the svovies with these guys in the condo, there are 2 more coops on the other side, as it's kinda 2 enclosure/pens. It has cement floors with 18-24" super old landscape logs and 4x4 beams and posts surrounding it, framed in with a finished pitched roof. We are planning on roofing the condo too, and where the chicken wire is now will be over laid with the 1/2" hardware cloth, screwed/bolted in every 6 inches top and bottom. Both our bedroom windows, kitchen and dining room windows look directly on this area and we can hear and see everything, security systems and night vision security cameras up, afterwards, we electrify the fence. What has everyone used to deter predators using electric fencing? I'm worried about the 2 and 4 footed kind.

Yes, my white bresse are getting really big

my bf and I talked about it, and we're going to try to process 4-5 muscovy ducks, my wheaten ameracuna that hasn't laid an egg since late July, and 8 roosters.

We might try to caponize Nugget my haffie roo again early next week
he's ayam cemani and mottled orpington, I have 2 pullets of the same parents. Nugget started crowing last week, but is incredibly sweet and loves being talked to, held, have his wattles rubbed. He's surprisingly much lighter in weight than the 2 ac roos Boss and Reginald

these 2 roos had the crow reduction surgery a few weeks ago. I have 1 more ac roo that might be better black saturated, but idk if I will have the surgery for him. I'm extremely urban. 2 white bresse roos go for decrowing in 2-3 weeks. I think I only have the 2 roos out of 7 anyways.

Heating your coop is a bad idea.  It is harmful for chickens (or any birds) to go from heat to cold.  If you let them adapt naturally in the fall, they will do just fine in the winter.  I had mine out playing in the snow during subzero temps last year.  They did fine except for a few breeds got frostbite.

Ventilation is the key.  Frostbite is cause by moisture and drafts.  You can partially protect them by using vaseline on their combs.  But just put more vents in your coop and keep the shavings dry. That may mean either putting more litter down or cleaning every few days.

But they should do fine.  My family raised leghorns (which have very large combs) for generations in the mountains of Wyoming.  And that was before electricity was common.  So skip the heat in the coop.  Not only is it a fire risk, but what are you going to do if the power goes out in a storm in the middle of the night?
Thanks, I haven't heated the coops yet since I've had chickens. I have the same ideas you do. I was just concerned with the cemani being a hard feather bird and being from warmer climate and making it in the cold. Same with the Hmong. Wasn't sure they would adapt. Thanks:)

Hello all,
I am a new owner of Ayam Cemani & in the middle of my first hatch (eggs imported from UK, Tony Marie Astin & Chris Charles lines). I have done research on this breed as I have been fascinated with them since I started with chickens over 3 yrs ago. I finally saved enough money to do things proper and get quality eggs (started with 9). I want to work on breeding and perfecting these birds (that is if my hatches give me males & females). I have plans for a fully heated and a/c coop with attached run and hope to free range (nervous about loss). I have organic food and artisian water to keep them as healthy as possible (i don't drink our tap water so don't want my birds to). Theu y will be going to our avian vet for a health check as soon as old enough. I am going to raise these guys and start hatching some eggs and go from there. I am looking into getting npip but am scared from the disclaimers "they can't be held responsible for killing any birds during the testing process" besides being hard to get my chickens are pets not livestock to me.
Is there anything else I should be doing? Advise?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom