The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

GFF had a massive raccoon attack 1 year ago and lost a ton of their import cemanis... like 90%....
Someone who posts here, (Ill let him confirm and ID himself)
had to bail GFF out, by trading with them his mix of TM and I believe Mikes lines...

For the record, the statement above is completely false. Greenfire Farms never lost its original imported breeding group of Cemanis to a raccoon attack. The original imports are alive and well and breeding today on our farm. And, we have never introduced Cemani into our breeding flocks from any other US breeder.

thanks for the post ...see that you got my message...

as for the f stock status in birds...just got off the phone with the import export guy....and its way more complicated then just f1 f2 f3...a good book is poultry breeding and genetics by crawford not sure the first name...but im going to get this book and read up....if you back cross or line breed then there is b1b in the pedigree...and so on....so i have no comment on f stock birds as i have been misinformed so sorry for putting not so accurate info out there...cause its not simple as f stock birds....for a pedigree...

Regardless of f level, the most important thing to consider is the quality of the birds in the breeding pens.

I'm sure everyone discussing this topic will agree, no matter how many levels of 'f' you manage to breed, if good quality birds are not used, level f20 will still be sub-quality breeding stock.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

totally agree with you ....on that...but with a more expensive bird...for me it is important to know the pedigree if you will on the birds...as all the people i have bought birds from know i ask these questions...most people dont care if and what f label the bird is and just cares about the bird cemani itself or whatever animal they are getting are quality stock...didnt mean to ruffle any feather...and im sorry if i did...

thanks for the post ...see that you got my message...

as for the f stock status in birds...just got off the phone with the import export guy....and its way more complicated then just f1 f2 f3...a good book is poultry breeding and genetics by crawford not sure the first name...but im going to get this book and read up....if you back cross or line breed then there is b1b in the pedigree...and so on....so i have no comment on f stock birds as i have been misinformed so sorry for putting not so accurate info out there...cause its not simple as f stock birds....for a pedigree...
i should probly get a hold of this book too since i am going to have to keep some insane records starting this year. I'm thinking of setting up an excel to keep it all in order and maybe back it up onto google docs..or possibly just do the whole thing on google docs. Anymore lately i find that chicken genetics are fascinating me and im now wondering if all poultry genetics work the same way, that would be nice.

The F status in birds derives from wild caught birds.F1 is First generation wild caught,their offspring are F2,their offspring F3 and so on.If anyone tells you they have F1 yellow goldens,that is a bunch of crap.Yellow goldens are man made birds which professor Gigi created.That is why their proper name is Gigi yellow goldens.The only true golden is the red golden,all others are from cross breeding and mutations.Any one selling F stock should supply you with the proper paperwork proving the F status of their birds.If they cannot produce the paperwork I would doubt that the birds are F status.
What is the GFF?
In N.H.,Tony.
Hey I just relized this isn't the pheasant forum.

Last edited:
Not how it works with chickens... Very few, if any, are "wild caught."
F1 stands for the first filial generation.
Definition of F1: "the first generation produced by a cross and consisting of individuals heterozygous for characteristics in which the parents differ and are homozygous"

GFF had a massive raccoon attack 1 year ago and lost a ton of their import cemanis... like 90%....
Someone who posts here, (Ill let him confirm and ID himself)
had to bail GFF out, by trading with them his mix of TM and I believe Mikes lines...

For the record, the statement above is completely false.  Greenfire Farms never lost its original imported breeding group of Cemanis to a raccoon attack.  The original imports are alive and well and breeding today on our farm. And, we have never introduced Cemani into our breeding flocks from any other US breeder.    

Depressing how people spread untrue gossip, though in this case it seemed they would have been happy for it to be true :( .

Good job GFF saw this and put the record straight.

Back
Top Bottom