The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

What do you think about this Cemani? Pullet or cockerel? Quality?

ETA - the flecks on it's head are from the fermented food. I had just fed them.

I would guess cockerel, but I'm not a great guesser.

VERY dark, I like the sheen on the feathers.
love.gif

Lovely bird, even if "he" is a messy eater. I just ruined my first batch of fermented feed. Apparently, I haven't quite figured it out yet. And here I was, thinking it was foolproof.
idunno.gif

I'm thinking cockerel - NOW. It was hatched 10/26/2014, making it 22 weeks old. Based on comb size I've been thinking it was a pullet. But the tail now makes me think it's a cockerel. I'm confused. It has neither laid an egg nor crowed.

I'm thinking cockerel - NOW. It was hatched 10/26/2014, making it 22 weeks old. Based on comb size I've been thinking it was a pullet. But the tail now makes me think it's a cockerel. I'm confused. It has neither laid an egg nor crowed.
At first glance it looked cockerel to me due to what look like saddle feathers coming in. Though I also thought it was much younger than 22weeks.

How did you ruin the ff?

This is how I like mine to look when I get around to feeding it. I don't bother stirring anymore after setting up the batch. It's just too thick.

Ooo, what are you using in there?

I used unmedicated chick starter/grower crumbles. I put them into a plastic tote, filled it with lukewarm water until the water JUST barely covered the stop. I stirred in organic apple cider vinegar (made sure that it contained the mother). I let it sit. It started to bubble, but barely. And soon after, a thin white mold-looking film developed over the top. =(

Ooo, what are you using in there? 

I used unmedicated chick starter/grower crumbles. I put them into a plastic tote, filled it with lukewarm water until the water JUST barely covered the stop. I stirred in organic apple cider vinegar (made sure that it contained the mother). I let it sit. It started to bubble, but barely. And soon after, a thin white mold-looking film developed over the top. =(

That thin white film is not a dangerousold, it is all the good things you were trying to grow with the 'mother' in the vinegar. Mine ALWAYS looks like that.

That thin white film is not a dangerousold, it is all the good things you were trying to grow with the 'mother' in the vinegar. Mine ALWAYS looks like that.

Yup, that white stuff is the SCOBY. It's the good stuff. Keep it and feed it. As you can see by my pic, it's pretty thick on mine.

Well, I'll be darned! THANKS GUYS! It's been awhile, but I'm going to have to take another peek at it now!!! Maybe I can still use it???

Back
Top Bottom