The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

My Cemani eggs went into the hatcher late last night. Even tho I've done it a bunch of times now, every time I come to this point I question whether I'm doing it right, if I've got the temp & humidity right, etc. Then I proceed to worry that nothing is going to hatch, bug peak into the bator at least hourly...

But then after seeing the new chicks, all I want to do is fill the bator again:). It is tough to scramble up some eggs when u know there might be some potential in them. Then I wonder how I end up overrun w birds. :)

Good luck to everyone w their hatches & have a happy Easter!!

My Cemani eggs went into the hatcher late last night. Even tho I've done it a bunch of times now, every time I come to this point I question whether I'm doing it right, if I've got the temp & humidity right, etc. Then I proceed to worry that nothing is going to hatch, bug peak into the bator at least hourly...

But then after seeing the new chicks, all I want to do is fill the bator again:). It is tough to scramble up some eggs when u know there might be some potential in them. Then I wonder how I end up overrun w birds.
smile.png

Good luck to everyone w their hatches & have a happy Easter!!

Thank you, Phoreda! Enjoy your easter!

BTW... WE HAVE EXTERNAL PIPPING!
wee.gif

My daughter, Sarah, has six in the incubator that go on lockdown Wednesday night and we're hoping for chicks this weekend! We haven't candled or anything since putting them in the incubator so it's pins and needles here! We have a leave them alone as much as you possibly can mentality! We're already at a pretty high altitude (in Colorado) which we've read can play against you.... last batch she had 2 hatch out of six so we're keeping out fingers crossed! Wouldn't it be an awesome Easter gift for her to wake up to eggs hatching? :)
Ours are not due to hatch until tomorrow night but we have a pip tonight and can hear cheeping from one! SO EXCITED HERE! Dd is not real happy that she has a Rabbit Judging meet tomorrow, though, and will be gone a lot of the day! Maybe we'll wake up to one before we leave in the morning.... :)

I find the more I candle/handle the eggs, especially in the last 4 -5 days, the fewer hatch.
This is what worries me. We don't handle or candle them at all while in the incubator. I know that's contrary to what most people do, but we really leave them alone. Of course this is only our second batch of six.....

I find the more I candle/handle the eggs, especially in the last 4 -5 days, the fewer hatch.

This is what worries me. We don't handle or candle them at all while in the incubator. I know that's contrary to what most people do, but we really leave them alone. Of course this is only our second batch of six.....

My incubator(s) have been running virtually non-stop for 4 years.
This is just what I have learnt from my mistakes

The temptation to check on the eggs every 5 minutes is easy to succumb to when you start and are all excited.
Now I set them and leave them alone -or at least try to.

We woke up to the pipped egg zipping out and she's (dd's hoping it's a pullet) out!
The other five eggs do not have pips yet, but we put them in on Sat. evening 3 weeks ago, so we have time yet for others to follow! We have to leave in just a little bit for most of the day... so hard to go when things might be happening!

My incubator(s) have been running virtually non-stop for 4 years.
This is just what I have learnt from my mistakes

The temptation to check on the eggs every 5 minutes is easy to succumb to when you start and are all excited.
Now I set them and leave them alone -or at least try to.

I've been finding the same thing. Trying to leave the eggs alone as much as possible. Glad to read my findings r consistent w those of someone w much more experience. Do u let the temp drop at all at hatching 1-2 degrees in the hatcher when u bring the humidity up? And do u vaccine ur chicks?

Sorry not AC, but here is some Oyge cross chicks that I will be getting soon(the little upside down chicks isn't dead, but slipped on the slipper card board floor for the picture)

Back
Top Bottom