The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I would like to suggest that whoever has received eggs from this seller which were not the breed claimed, should report the scam to the US Postal Service. She is using the USPS to pull off her fraud They frown on that sort of thing, big time. They only investigate if they get a number of reports, however.

Last edited:
And back on the subject of AC - what do you guys *do* with your culls? Eat them? I'm serious about that. What do you do with chicks that hatch mismarked? Kill at hatching? Sell cheap as 'pretty black and white birds'? Feed out and send to freezer camp?

Mine are actually pretty friendly. The pullets I raised myself especially. They don't like being reached for when you're trying to pick them up off the ground, but it they're up perched on something they let me pet them.
Ours are quite friendly as well. The older two are a little skittish when first picked up but when dd sits on the ground, they're all over her. Her five little younger chicks, climb onto her immediately when out of the coop and will all pile together and sleep in her lap. They follow her around the yard when she has them out and cheep when they see her.

The one thing I don't like about the ACs so far is how flighty they are. No matter how often I attempt to interact with them, it's always a dead panic when I appear in their world.

My GFF aren't near as bad as my TMA. And they all calm down once out of the brooders and in the coops. If you have a walk-in coop, take some treats and a chair and hang out for a while. They'll get used to you after a few visits and quit going crazy. Now I have to walk with a scoot step to try to keep them from slipping out the door behind me.

NATURE:
Remember these bird's ancestors were JUNGLE FOWL..
Thus, they were JUNGLE PREY...
and adapted for hundreds of generations to survive as such...

NURTURE:
However, with lots of hand training time when young,
and with lots of patience and treats when they are in the coop,
will go a LONG way in calming them...

But you must also accept the fact that even after all that,
these guys will never be Orpington or Buckeye calm.

And back on the subject of AC - what do you guys *do* with your culls? Eat them? I'm serious about that. What do you do with chicks that hatch mismarked? Kill at hatching? Sell cheap as 'pretty black and white birds'? Feed out and send to freezer camp?
90% of mine get culled 3 days after hatch.
and again those get culled again 5 weeks after hatch, if they get silver feathers popping out of their necks.

A quick snip... with sharp meat scissors... into a plastic bag... and then off to the land fill.

It is a very hinky thing selling Cemani...
I will not be accused of selling anything that is a bad surprise.

Because Cemani are so rare, and thus pricy,
there are tons of scammers out there.

Heck. because of all the scammers selling counterfeits,
I don't dare sale REAL CEMANI EGGS even though they bring solid profits.
because someone might complain that all the eggs did not all hatch or that all of their cemani chicks were NOT PERFECT black.
and once THAT happens....your business is over.

It is vital therefore to keep a squeaky clean reputation as a cemani breeder...
TONS of communication and photos during the sale...

This is why I only sale BIRDS...not eggs...
I also do custom hatches:
where you get your number of ordered chicks only after I have culled off 90% of the none perfect ones at hatch.
Thus, if you order from "Hatchery and Hive" you will KNOW that you are getting BLACK Cemani chicks.

However, if you decide you really want some of the left over, not perfect, and thus discounted cemani,
you will KNOW by photos and agree to each individual bird in the sale, before I mail them to you.

That's how things roll here at Hatchery and Hive...

Last edited:
i know this is a long shot but i was wondering if anyone had an extra rooster for sale of young age and doesn't have to be perfect black would like that but my budget cant afford that much im only 16 and raise red jungle fowl and am getting grey jungle fowl next summer but would love to own a cemani for some hybrid projects im starting so if anyone has one or any for sale please let me know guys thank you and have a great day everyone
-AUSTIN

Aaaaaaw man.....

I just culled a rooster like you described...
I was selling him for only $50....
no one was interested so he got the axe.

Bummer...

The late #51.... RIP

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom