The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Aaaaaaw man.....

I just culled a rooster like you described...
I was selling him for only $50....
no one was interested so he got the axe.

Bummer...

The late #51.... RIP
Do you have pics of the meat and organs so so we can see how dark they are when they have a lot of mulbery?

What did he look like on the inside?

Do you have pics of the meat and organs so so we can see how dark they are when they have a lot of mulbery?
pop.gif

Here is my Mike Bean/ Smithsonian line roo that went bye bye a while back. Judge for yourself...............................................................................

2.5 months

3.5 months

3.5 months

10 months

My 7 cemani chicks are about 5 weeks old now. I have one definite roo and maybe another one, but think I got mostly girls. All have black skin and vents. None have black mouths. I had 2 hatch out very black and smaller than the rest. 2 of the larger ones hatched with a little white, I think at least one still has a white feather (3 are with a hen so I dont handle much--they are wild little suckers!).

I am disappointed with no black mouths. But I assume I can work on that with the next generation? Can someone tell me what the best way forward should be? My initial thoughts are to keep the 2-4 blackest girls and get a rooster. I am wondering what the best way to get a rooster is. I have been reading that the mulberry combs/waddles dont show up until they are older, so maybe getting an older male is better than getting chicks and hoping....Not sure if gff is worth it--they seem to only sell unsexed chicks. Still might be worth a try though?

Is anyone breeding the pairs/trios they get from one source together or are you trying to have separate sources for males and females. I think that is my sticking point--I dont want to inbreed too much for fear of bad recessives showing up.

Thanks

That breast muscle looks pretty pink
Not quite as pink as a regular chicken, but a light dull peach/cream colored. This is the controversial line that was said to have started with a TM hen and cross bred to a lavender leghorn roo a while back......for egg production etc....................

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom