The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Here's a weird observation:

I have five 4 week old ACs, three pullets and two cockerels. (I should say presumptively, I suppose, though they've seemed very distinct in combs and behavior for the past ten days or so).

The boys have huge eyes. One in particular looks like he ought to be an anime character, with eyes that seem almost unreal in his face.

Is this a real thing -- the roos having bigger eyes (or smaller heads in proportion to the eyes) than the hens? Or coincidence?

So the picture with the single egg is infact the first fibro bird to hatch. The second picture is one game chick n non fibro no dots the other egg is fibro n with dots
.....hmmmm maybe foot in mouth
Also these were hatched early and didn't even make it to hatcher so this rules out my hatcher is dirty.

We need more observations, and from more people. Spring will be interesting for sure!

pop.gif

I have five 4 week old ACs, three pullets and two cockerels. (I should say presumptively, I suppose, though they've seemed very distinct in combs and behavior for the past ten days or so).

The boys have huge eyes. One in particular looks like he ought to be an anime character, with eyes that seem almost unreal in his face.

Is this a real thing -- the roos having bigger eyes (or smaller heads in proportion to the eyes) than the hens? Or coincidence?

Interesting! I've also thought the eyes appeared to be larger in my AC than my other breeds, but chalked it up to optical illusion or imagination. I never paid attention to gender though. Got any photos?

So u can see the fibros on left n game on right. Out of those fibros those r svart honas. And yes saturation of fibro does leave more fibro birds. I had three or four not so dark n u can see the eggs n then one super black one n same to follow with egg as well.

This picture is from Hmong chickens another fibro. There r hardly any dots in the shells. I didn't have any cemanis hatch yet. So I can't comment on this breed yet however I do have a bunch of cemani going into the incubator soon.
So my thoughts so far is some fibro chickens do this this and some do not.

Last two pics are of the Gamefowl chickens n the egg shell so u guys can inspect them for urselfs.
Be back in a flash

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on this thread for a little while - trying to read all posts. I don't have the time so I'm just going to ask the questions.... Bare with me for a minute....
I'm new to chickens as of this past August. I was looking for a unique breed to raise for showing and maybe some small profit. I thought Araucanas were it but then I discovered the ACs and Svart Honas. On an impulse I purchased some hatching eggs 6 ACs and 6 SHs. I had a 50% hatch rate with one chick death a few weeks after hatching. The problem is that I didn't identify which birds were which when they hatched. I have 5 fibro birds. I know I had 3 of one breed and 2 of the other breed but I don't remember which is which. I am seeing a difference in body style. a few I call 'long and lean' and the others are 'short and fat'. By short and fat I just mean they have a more traditional body style like my Giants do. They all have three front toes, all black except 2 birds have a white middle toenail. The inside of their mouths are grayish pinkish with some mouths being more gray and some mouths being more pink. With all of that being said, am I correct in my understanding that there is no SOP for ACs. Is there one for SHs? and could someone direct me to a link where I could see "perfect" fibro birds? or if such a link does not exist could someone post pics of common undesirable traits? I've read about white ears, white toes, the mouth not being right, and looking for coloring under the wing but would like to actually see what that looks like. I know this is probably asking a lot but I would be grateful for any info. Thanks and happy holidays!

Cemani ... male big like twice the size of all hens. Hens of svart honas are a little bigger. Roosters about the size of cemani. And Hmong fibro is bigger in both male and females. Hope this helps

I was thinking about mine the other day, and it seems like they all have really big eyes and little heads. These pics are at 6 weeks:

The medium-sized one:

A big one (Biter - likes to bite my fingers.)

The other big one (trying to get away)

And the little one

As a contrast, my Orloffaucana born the same day, who has an eye/head ratio I'm more used to.

Has anyone heard of someone that has attempted to cross a fibro breed with a colored egg layer to develop a fibro breed that lays blue/chocolate eggs? I'm interested in doing this as a project and seeing the results of any previous attempts would help immensely

Has anyone heard of someone that has attempted to cross a fibro breed with a colored egg layer to develop a fibro breed that lays blue/chocolate eggs? I'm interested in doing this as a project and seeing the results of any previous attempts would help immensely
I believe someone did manage to do it, google "Dispy Doo hens" on BYC. I believe that what the creator nicknamed them...?

Back
Top Bottom