The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Just hatched...ebay eggs...i was tickled i got 6 babies out if 10 eggs .i love these birds...so sweet. I've had some chicks shipped to. 1st ones came in great..2nd shipment not so good. Chicks were almost dead. I saved them..thank God for nutridrench...ive had 3 shipments of chicks this year...horrible expierence.i think for now on I will just have eggs shipped for babies. It's just to stressful and heartbreaking to get sick and dead chicks. Shipped eggs are always risky..however, they are cheaper so i think it offsets the costs of live birds. Those 10 eggs cost me $40...not bad at all!

Very cute...

Got some good pics of my keeper boy this year...

piZap_1498973739256_wm.jpg
piZap_1498973697489_wm.jpg
piZap_1498973625674_wm.jpg
piZap_1498973530688_wm.jpg
piZap_1498887640514_wm.jpg
piZap_1498887706414_wm.jpg
piZap_1498887474425_wm.jpg
piZap_1498887673962_wm.jpg

I joined here just to get my hands on some cemani. But so far all i have found is scams, and what is legit is cull birds. I have been trying to find a good starting stock but this is not easy!

I joined here just to get my hands on some cemani. But so far all i have found is scams, and what is legit is cull birds. I have been trying to find a good starting stock but this is not easy!

It's not an easy breed... in fact, I feel it is the most difficult and challenging I have ever dealt with, but for many different reasons... patience, research and hard work are definitely a necessity...

It is not for the faint of heart, for sure, to be a dedicated breeder... and as far as I know, not one breeder has ever started out with perfect birds... as those do not exist in any breed...

Depending on the flaws, culls can make an acceptable start... yes, you do want to start with the best you can get, but sometimes that isn't an option... be prepared for lots of culling, taking lots of time, pitfalls and setbacks... but the rewards are worth it...

I ordered cemani chicks this year..got eggs to and hatched 6 more. I ended up w/a few birds that have white toes. I got greenfire farms lines..evidently this issue pops up in these birds. At 1st I was really upset thinking to cull the ones w/white toes, but after talking w/others decided to work with what i got. The flaws r minimal, a white toenail mainly. They r really hardy, eating machines! So far, my babies r really sweet and personable, i handle them every day and they love hop up to sit on my lap. Eggs r easy to hatch. I got 6 babies out of 10 shipped eggs. If u really want birds..hatching ur own is not a bad way to go and way more affordable. It's even worth the investment to get a decent incubator to hatch them as u can buy a lot of eggs from a good breeder for the price of a chick n many cases.

It's not an easy breed... in fact, I feel it is the most difficult and challenging I have ever dealt with, but for many different reasons... patience, research and hard work are definitely a necessity...

It is not for the faint of heart, for sure, to be a dedicated breeder... and as far as I know, not one breeder has ever started out with perfect birds... as those do not exist in any breed...

Depending on the flaws, culls can make an acceptable start... yes, you do want to start with the best you can get, but sometimes that isn't an option... be prepared for lots of culling, taking lots of time, pitfalls and setbacks... but the rewards are worth it...

I am a very experienced breeder and i know all the challenges. But with the high price of this breed scammers are taking advantage of it. And with such a new and rare breed here in the US, many dedicated breeders have only a limited stock of good wuality cemanis and cant really let anything go except for bad culls. What i have found up for sale are very bad culls, white ear lobes and bright red wattles and comb. I would rather wait it out until i get my hands on some good breeding stock so i dont have to waste a couple years working with culls. and i dont like buying eggs because what i dont like the risk end of it. I like to buy birds i can inspect and meets my eyes only.

Did you hatch this roo from your hens..?

Back
Top Bottom