The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Quote:
You could create a Buff Holland. But Punky is probably right, it is best to preserve and restore the Barred. But you could create a Buff Hollands while helping to restore the Barred.

During the same period, selected matings of the progeny from White Leghorns, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Australorps and Brown Leghorns were bred to produce a fowl with the same characteristics with a barred feather pattern, thus the Barred Hollands were originated.

You could take some Buff Leghorns, Buff Plymouth Rocks, Buff Orpingtons and Barred Hollands and work towards a Buff Hollands. Once you get the Hollands type and they are laying white eggs, they would be Hollands.

As for infusing "new blood". The ALBC has suggested that the Barred Hollands be done just like the Buckeye: Outcross to other STRAINS of Barred Hollands. Say for example: Breeder A and Breeder B bought chicks from Ideal poultry in 2005. Neither have introduced anything new. Neither ha bought chicks or eggs since the intial purchase. Both have Ideal poultry line. Yet they are 7 years of breeding from the source. Breeder A and B exchange males. They now have a "hybrid" from two distinct "strains" taht wmay produce some chicks better than either line.

With our Lamonas, the ALBC has advised we infuse foundation breed blood, as the bloodline has been corrupted and we need to reinstall some traits: white eggs and the Dorking type. We are considering a cross with the White Leghorn and the White Dorking and take a male of that cross back to our Lamona hens. Then a cockerl from that mating (Leg/Dork X Lamona) could be used on a Barred Hollands hen to produce a White Hollands. I actually spoke with Jen this morning about maybe doing this. Would only take a few weeks of the mating to collect enough eggs to accomplish the first generation.​

I now have my breeding pen set up, so as soon as the waiting period is over, I will have some eggs available. While a few of the eggs will be very slightly tinted, they come from a mating from a rooster from a white egg, so should be an improvement, yet still coming from a superior hen. Problem is I have an egg eater to catch before the waiting period is over. GV, about 2 more weeks. In this heat I would ship in a cooler with a little ice.

My barred hollands are laying few eggs now. I have only two hens and a rooster for breeding. I am done hatching for myself this year. Next year I should be able to hatch more and even ship some hatching eggs.

Is it possible for other barred holland keepers to post pics of thier birds? I would like to get an average look at what is out there for this breed. My rooster has a different tail than the barred holland roosters I have seen posted.

Also the barring, how is it to look?

The description of the barring is much the same as for the dominiques, as opposed to the barred rocks. More "v" to the barring and the rooster lighter than the hens.

Im so glad I was given this thread to check out.. I an mo where near the breeding project that most of yall have set up but i do plan on breeding barred Hollands.. just on a smaller scale.. I adore my hen..
love.gif
and cant wait to get more..
thumbsup.gif

)O(
Pink

in SC

I'm new to BYC and chickens. We got our first peeps from e-fowl on March 5th of this year. Barred Hollands. After much reading, we decided this was the breed for us. We have nine hens and a roo, and are just figuring it out as we go along. I think our roo is magnificent, but I don't really know what to look for. Our eggs are tinted.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Hollands thread!

Here are the Best of Breed and reserve of Breed at Crossroads. Jen may have better photos. These are what I took.

Best of Breed

47716_photo262.jpg

Reserve of Breed

47716_photo263.jpg

Back
Top Bottom