The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

Thanks HHF, but I was wondering if it had any significance besides the pigment just wasn't complete or it an incomplete gene, etc.

Hi all; I've just started with BO this year. I have a roo about 12-18 mo old; don't know much about him, bought him with some other breed hens last spring from a teenager downsizing her flock. suspect he's just a hatchery bird. I think he is probably too light colored. will try and remember to post a pic when I get a chance. I then picked up 4 pullets at the feed store; one has yellow leg, a DQ I know now. Three are pretty light, but one is darker than the others; she's also a bit bigger and bossier. I would like to pick up some that are closer to the standard, if anyone here lives in AZ and has some for sale let me know.

Otherwise the plan at the moment is in the spring to hatch as many as possible from these birds; I can't trap nest so will have no way of knowing which eggs are from which hen, tho I have been considering isolating the best looking hen if I can so I can collect her eggs seperate. Then I will cull very hard; all yellow legs will be the first to go. Then I will look for the darkest color and nicest body/

OK so here is a pic of my darkest colored pullet; should begin laying anytime the next few weeks I think. Took 2nd place at our (very small) county fair in the pullet class.

And here is the roo; he is probably about 12-18 months old. I bought him just before he started crowing and don't know where he came from; I presume the owner picked him up from some feed store. I think he is probably too light colored, what do you all think? I'm just starting with BO and need all the help I can get.

My other question is my pullets have begun showing these dark speckles in their tail feathers. I'm not sure of the BO standard; is this a DQ or just a fault or something not to worry about. Help please!

Back
Top Bottom